Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,166   Online: 788

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do you make same picture on both sides of the film holder?

When you take a picture in a 4x5 system. Do you always flip the card holder and take the same picture as a back up?

Do you then develop first one sheet and base on the results develop the other one base on first results? Is this a common practice one should get into?

Thanks,

Jaime.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, yes, and yes.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Really depends on how hard it was to get to the location - if it is someplace I know I will not very likely return to I will make a second exposure. Also, if I have some reason to "distrust the meter" I will make a second using a different speed/f stop setting. Assuming I am not rationing film because of a "hike" or limited supply. I don't burn through film, but considering the time and effort it takes to set up for a shot, why save film?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have generally duplicated my images on both sides of the holder. However, on occasion, this is not always possible.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    most of the time,
    but even seconds later
    sometimes it isn't the same ...

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    yes, and yes and it depends
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exceedingly rarely, maybe half a dozen times in 25 years I can't carry enough darkslides in my backpack or afford to waste 50% of my film

It's not common practice with the photographers I know. I've rarely if ever lost important images because of this.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes, yes, yes, but I bracket as much as two stops on the second shot. I am working on a series of (so far) 120 7x17 contact prints of the OH & Erie Canal and its environment through a national park, four rust belt cities and some farm land. There is much dark material and detail in them thar ramparts. I feel that I can make a pretty good contact print at least one stop off. A two stop bracket gives me a six stop range of pretty printable negatives. Most exposures are in the reciprocity range. If I find there is detail I want to bring out of the shadows, this bracketing and corrected development can give me quite a range of exposure for printing. Stuff does happen to the occasional negative usually through the operator getting too tired (almost 70 now). Developing two at a time in a Jobo is very slow. On the other hand the canal has not moved much since about the 1820s. This process has worked well for me though it seems to surprise many who hear of it.

John Powers

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    not with color but yes with black and white. Right now I only shoot color so I haven't developed my own BW in a while but when I did develop my own I shot the same scene. It's up to you if you want to or not.

Sheet film is expensive to me and I am confident enough to take different scenes with each piece of color film. Not saying the people ahead of me are not confident, it's just how I feel comfortable doing things.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's been a long time and I'm just now getting back into LF B&W but...

ABSOLUTELY... and sometimes I would take another two at a different exposure as backup for when I wasn't sure how my filter was affecting exposure in some situations. I always processed the first sheet that I thought was exposed properly and at the dilution/time/agitation I thought was appropriate. If exposure was appropriate on the first neg then I tweaked my development methods (if necessary) and processed the second sheet. If I decided to use the other exposure I repeated the above procedure. The remaining film was processed (adjusted as needed) and kept as backup. The above stated, I tried to never shoot an image I wasn't absolutely sure I wanted. If I was just messing around I didn't waste film, chemistry or time so the above procedures weren't followed.

Shooting extra film is expensive but losing a really nice image is more painful.

EDIT: If shooting color negs I would shoot just two images both exposed the same. But I would have them processed at different times or different labs... stuff happens.
    Last edited by Mike1234; 10-04-2009 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin