Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,266   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

ansco buying guide

I would really appreciate some help from the Ansco shooters.
    Tomorrow I am going to look at an Ansco 8X10 flatbed. Gray color, 12 in.
    f4.5 lens. Also has 5X7,4X5, and a split5X7 back(2x3.5x5). 8X10 and 5X7 film holders. It has F&R swing/tilt. Front rise.
    Anything not so obvious to watch out for ? Although the obvious sometimes escapes me, perhaps the obvious should be listed too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check the bellows thoroughly. Based upon my experience with the 5x7, the Anscos seem to be issue free cameras--though I am not a heavy user. By the way, that is one heck of an outfit you shall be looking at.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Try to determin if it is a "Commercial" or "Universal" model(I don't think Ansco actually put labels on these but if you do a search you ought to find photographs of these models which will assist you) or a later one cobbled up from parts and with shorter bellows than a usual 8x10 camera. My suggestion is to stick with the Universal or Commercial models---nice cameras! Perhaps this one has felt the hand of Ansel Adams, Morley Baer, or one of the Westons at one time or another.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    if its a grey one its a latter built unit, as per the above check the bellows properly fully racked out with a bright tourch for pin holes check also for lose screws and missing knobs and for obvious cracks or breaks in the wood almost any thing on these camera can be repaired quite easily except the bellows (but even that can be fixed if you dont mind black tape stuck on them to cover the holes) also make sure the tracks in the base line up properly or the standards may not travel over the join in the bed nicely - these are fun cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While most "Grey" Agfa Ansco's were made after the company/s seizure by the US Government a few were earlier, it might sound odd but the Deluxe finish was grey rather than the very much nicer polished wood finish.

Front swing is unusual on these cameras but not unknown, one of mine has it but I've only come across one other with it. The big difference between a the Universal and the Commercial View is bellows extension, a Commercial View extends to 36½".

Make sure everything locks down and tightens up properly, they are great cameras very usable, let us know how you get on.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was fairly easy to add swing. A sharp chisel and removing the block up front.

What lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    It was fairly easy to add swing. A sharp chisel and removing the block up front.
    Some Agfa Ansco's came from the factory that way.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    An update: camera movements,front-shift,tilt,rise. Rear-swing,tilt. Body appeared to be in good condition,
    paint had minimal wear. All the locks work. Bellows appears in good condition couldn't find any holes.
    Hardware is nickel plated. The rear standard does not have the "0" pointer for tilt.
    Lens is a Wollensak Velostigmat series II 12" f4.5. Has a soft focus feature. Shutter is Alphax.

Areas of concern; The tracks for the rise on the front standard are worn in the most used area to the
    point that the gear skips and pressure must be applied to keep the gear in contact with the tracks to
    use the rise. Bellows is 21", the base will extend much further (7") than the bellows will extend. Does this
    indicate the possibility of shorter replacement bellows ?

Misc. Kodak 8X10 holders-4, Lisco 5X7 holders-4. Ansco 8X10,5X7 back, B&J 4X5 back. Ansco box.

Well, any opinions ? Where would one find replacement tracks for the front rise ? Or is it something
    I would have to live with. Would you buy or pass ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Would you buy or pass ?[/QUOTE]

Price?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    $375.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin