Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,740   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Schneider customer service

I have not so good experience with Schneider customer service (Germany), you send them an email and then after some weeks you get a reply.
    In best case the reply makes sense and if you have to ask them again but this time there is no reply.

This time I asked them what the cost would be to adjust the aperture blades for the 360/ 6,8 symmar-S, I got a reply and they asked what shutter the lens had. OK. I gave them the info and....

"The Prontor-3 shutter is leaked since 10 years. Spare parts are not
    available anymore. The lenses are leaked since 20 years.

I´m sorry that I couldn`t help you in this matter."

GRRRR!! I asked for a adjustment for the aperture and nothing else, maybe the customer service dosen't know how a LF lens is working? Anybody with same experience with Schneider? Is Rodenstock service better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Email KHB Photographix. They're in Canada but LF lenses are one of the things they specialize in servicing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You've run into a problem because Schneider never made shutters but bought them in. I think Zeiss took over the manufacture of Compur & Prontor shutters but sold everything off a few years ago.

Any good camera repairer should be able to fix it, unless it needs new parts, I had Black on White in Bristol, UK, service an old 165nmm Super AAngulon with a Compur 2-3 years ago, and can recommend them. But there should be a good repair shop in Sweden. When they CLA/Repair an LF shutter a good repairman completely strips the shutter and totally rebuilds it.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian, the problem wasn't the shutter it was the aperture, maybe there is nothing wrong with Schneider maybe it's my english

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by malcao View Post
    In best case the reply makes sense

"The Prontor-3 shutter is leaked since 10 years. Spare parts are not
    available anymore. The lenses are leaked since 20 years."
    Heh. So much for mechanical translation.

Presumably their response was originally written in German with "ausgelaufen" (meaning "phased out, discontinued", but can also mean "leaked", "run out", "spilled"), and then translated using the first match they found in the dictionary.

So don't be too hard on them, they're trying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schneider is no different from most product manufacturers... they generally only provide support to current products. Seek an aftermarket repair service for "outdated" products; there are companies who can do what you want... like SK Grimes (and hopefully someone a little closer to you!) If I understand what you need/want, it is a new aperture scale: http://www.skgrimes.com/iris/index.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the aperture blades Brian

Ian, the problem wasn't the shutter it was the aperture, maybe there is nothing wrong with Schneider maybe it's my english
    Your English is fine, better than some students I've taught in England, not sure about Schneiders though .

The aperture mechanism is part of the shutter, Schneider seem to be saying that there were problems with those shutters. If that's true then a good repairman should have seen the problem before. So the shutter need diassembly to repair the aperture.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Schneider is no different from most product manufacturers... they generally only provide support to current products. Seek an aftermarket repair service for "outdated" products; there are companies who can do what you want... like SK Grimes (and hopefully someone a little closer to you!) If I understand what you need/want, it is a new aperture scale: http://www.skgrimes.com/iris/index.htm
    There is no problem having my Leica M4 checked and fixed, I had some Gossen Bisix and Sixon2 fixed without any problem. So there are companies out there that fix products that is "outdated".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's the aperture blades Brian

Your English is fine, better than some students I've taught in England, not sure about Schneiders though .

The aperture mechanism is part of the shutter, Schneider seem to be saying that there were problems with those shutters. If that's true then a good repairman should have seen the problem before. So the shutter need diassembly to repair the aperture.

Ian
    I adjusted the aperture blades myself you can adjust the aperture just by moving the blades and then tighten a screw. So in that respect it's not connected with the shutter. Sometimes there is a reward in getting a little angry and I saved time and money to.

May I print your text about my English and have on the wall?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I adjusted the aperture blades myself you can adjust the aperture just by moving the blades and then tighten a screw. So in that respect it's not connected with the shutter. Sometimes there is a reward in getting a little angry and I saved time and money to.

May I print your text about my English and have on the wall?
    Of course.

Glad to hear it's fixed

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin