Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,064   Posts: 1,611,675   Online: 796

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Extension Connection

No not a power cord it's the extension for my Kodak 2D 5x7 view camera. I was giving it a checkup to make sure it's in good working order when I noticed that the rear extension seemed a little loose. I re-tightened the butterfly bolt that locks the extension on and it was still loose. When I removed the extension I found the threaded insert has loosened, in fact it was not threaded into any wood and pulled right out. I fiddled around trying to cement shims in but the brass threaded insert was a bit too small and was not going to be solid unless I filled the hole and re-drilled it to accept the fine threads of the insert. I cleaned out the hole and drilled it out a 1/16 th larger and used a longer insert with a depressed hex for a tool to insert in it without using a bolt. The original brass insert didn't have any way to remove it except to use an easy-out tool. The new insert is as solid as a rock. The original maker did some interesting things in the production of these cameras. You can completely disassemble an 8x10 2D except the riveted fasteners that hold the back onto the rear metal uprights. I'm working on restoring one that I've had for sometime and I had to drill the rivet from the inside to work on the back frame. These projects can be simple or hard and time consuming. It's almost better to make one from scratch than to restore one. Sometimes I wonder why people do it.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    No not a power cord it's the extension for my Kodak 2D 5x7 view camera. I was giving it a checkup to make sure it's in good working order when I noticed that the rear extension seemed a little loose. I re-tightened the butterfly bolt that locks the extension on and it was still loose. When I removed the extension I found the threaded insert has loosened, in fact it was not threaded into any wood and pulled right out. I fiddled around trying to cement shims in but the brass threaded insert was a bit too small and was not going to be solid unless I filled the hole and re-drilled it to accept the fine threads of the insert. I cleaned out the hole and drilled it out a 1/16 th larger and used a longer insert with a depressed hex for a tool to insert in it without using a bolt. The original brass insert didn't have any way to remove it except to use an easy-out tool. The new insert is as solid as a rock. The original maker did some interesting things in the production of these cameras. You can completely disassemble an 8x10 2D except the riveted fasteners that hold the back onto the rear metal uprights. I'm working on restoring one that I've had for sometime and I had to drill the rivet from the inside to work on the back frame. These projects can be simple or hard and time consuming. It's almost better to make one from scratch than to restore one. Sometimes I wonder why people do it.

Curt
    I like the challenge of restoring an old beast like an 8x10 2D. After restoring this old camera, I will try my hand at making a new one. Gotta get this one finished first though.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin