Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,413   Online: 678

Thread: 8x20 to 12x20

Hi All,

I am currently restoring an 8x20 banquet camera. I have taken it apart (photographing each step of the way so I know how to put it back together!) and have stripped the finish from the wood. A friend of mine, an excellent woodworker is doing some minor repairs to certain areas. His work has been so good that I have asked him to actually replicate each piece of the camera in mahogany. I have another friend who is a metal smith. He has agreed to replicate the brass parts (I will purchase bellows and gears etc. on line).

When all is said and done I will have sufficient parts/pieces to make two cameras, the refinished original as well as a brand new one. However the thought occured to me that I can simply scale the back of the replica camera up to 12x20 from 8x20. That way I would have a choice in formats.

My question is this:

How do I caluclate the amount of extra width I need on the back. The image size of the 8x20 is not exactly 8x20 (something like 7 5/8 x20) and the slot for the film holder obviously has its own measurements to accept an 8x20 holder. It seems to me that I really need an extra 4 inches of width, n'est-ce pas? Or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Would anyone on the board be so kind as to measure their 12x20 back for me so I may make one like it for my camera? I would need all the appropriate measurements including inside and outside dimensions, film holder size etc. I can then compare them to the 8x20 back to see where I need to add the extra room.

Thanks,

Craig K.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Craig,

The overall dimensions on my 12X20 Korona measure 16 3/4 X 23 inches. The film holder measures 14 X 22 5/8 inches. This is the film holder proper without including the darkslide handle. Hope this helps...good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An option would be to buy a 12x20 holder and then use that as template to scale the back up from. That way you would have the exact measurements of the holder and can ensure that the back would fit and be light tight.

David
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by livemoa
    An option would be to buy a 12x20 holder and then use that as template to scale the back up from. That way you would have the exact measurements of the holder and can ensure that the back would fit and be light tight.

David
    that is what I would do.

lee\c

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Is there a lens under 210 mm that can cover 12x20 with some movement?
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Schneider 210 XL covers with some movement. Of course I think you have to mortgage your house to buy one.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin