Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,614   Online: 890

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Crown Graphic 4 by 5

Got a chance to pick up a Crown Graphic 4 by 5 today for $325. Complete kit with manuals, lens, backs, etc. Any precautions I should take? I am also trying to find a justification for the expense. I get to retire next spring and hope to do some traveling. Thoughts?
    "I, in humility, am willing to learn, when you, in humility, are ready to teach." Rusty Tripod

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've done a lot of travelling with a CG - they're great cameras. Make sure the focusing rails aren't bent (due to closing the bed without fully retracting the rails first). Otherwise anything wrong should be pretty self-evident. A few Grafmatic six-shots will come in handy.

Once you get it pop over to http://www.graflex.org for lots of goodness.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seems a bit steep depending on what else it comes with - what lens(es) and what backs (and does it have a Graflok back)? I just sold a really nice, really clean later model Crown with a 135mm Optar on ebay for far less than that.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's overpriced if it's just the one lens, I'd think more around $200 would be fair. Like someone said, check the focus rails & also check the hinges on the focus rails to make sure they're not bent/broken. Ask/check if the rangefinder is working with the included lens, if so you have the potential for hand held shooting rather than using ground glass on tripod all the time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Value depends on many things. What vintage/model? If the included lens is a 135 Optar and the whole kit is in so-so condition then it may actually be worth even less than $200. However, if it's all nearly mint with all the original boxes then it can easily be worth $500+. Heck, if a mint Heiland 3-cell flash (with the built-in illuminating eye for focusing) is included that alone is worth $150+ and maybe more than $200 for those Star Wars die-hard types... and still worth $100+ in average working condition. What backs (I assume he means film holders or RFH's) are included and how many? Singer lever-type 6x9 backs are worth about $100 each if they're nearly mint... a half dozen of those alone are worth $350+ even in average good working condition. The lens... a nearly mint coated 203 Ektar alone is easily worth $270 while one in decent cosmetic condition with really nice glass is worth $200 or a bit less.

These prices are taking into account the lousy economy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Prices are all over the place, I've seen them go for $150 - $450 depending on what's included, the phase of the moon, and who was on the cover of People magazine that week. If you can wait then patience can pay off with a good deal, but it's a crap shoot. Mostly when I buy things these days I look around a bit to get a ballpark of what it's going for, and if I find something pretty decent at the same time i have the money I get it. I waited patiently for many months to get my CG and Graflex RB and got some really good deals, but there comes a point when the time spent waiting and watching starts to become a factor.

A good example is Graflex bag magazines. I've bought eight or nine in the past two months paying between $25-35 each. There are a number of them listed at $175 and up on the auction site. I've asked a couple of the high-priced sellers how they can charge so much and they assure me that impulsive and impatient people do buy them. Lens & Repro is another good example...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is what the kit includes. I have not seen it yet but will do so later this morning. Vintage "press" camera, 4x5 format with Schnieder-Kreuznach Xenar lens. Complete kit in carrying case includes: 15 sheet film holders, 120 film holder, Polaroid landfilm holder, flash reflector & bulbs, 2 remote release cables, self-timer, Olson exposure meter, original warranty card, and owners manuals!
    "I, in humility, am willing to learn, when you, in humility, are ready to teach." Rusty Tripod

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you've got the money to spare and it's all in good condition then go for it. It's hard for anyone else to place a value on it for you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rusty, there's still not enough information here to make a decent ballpark judgement on price. That said, $325 doesn't seem to be out-of-whack. This kit might be worth a little bit less or considerably more than the asking price. I suggest trying to get free shipping. If it's local purchase then just examine everything very carefully and ask all the right questions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If it has the Xenar lens, it's probably (but not necessarily) a top rangefinder model. If so, it should have a Graflok back with Fresnel, unless it was swapped out (which I've seen). Check the shutter speeds on the Xenar - it's in a Syncro-Compur shutter and it's hard to find parts for those so they're not always repairable. Check the bellows carefully for cracks/holes. As was said, make sue the rear rails are fully intact - along with bellows, those are the most common problem with a Crown. If the RF is the top model, make sure it works, and that it has the right cam (those are nearly impossible to find and therefore go for ridiculous money for a tiny bit of stamped sheetmetal). Figure 15 sheet film holders are worth $5 apiece, as long as they're in decent shape. A roll film holder is worth $40+ depending on whether it's an older one (without the pin rollers) or an RH model, especially in 6x9 or even 6x7 (why would anyone want to shoot 6x6 on such a big camera?).

My 2 cents - if the camera is in good condition and the shutter is good and glass clean, it's worth $325, particularly if it has the top RF (the lensboard may or may not be marked "special", by the way)

Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin