Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,423   Online: 1154

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 210 symmar used for portraits that will 'just' fit into my crown graphic to allow the camera to close when folded up. The bellows with this lens and rails will extend just far enough to allow the image to fill the frame at 5-6 feet. Not sure if the speed with its rear curtain has as much room to fit my lens.
    my real name, imagine that.

The 127mm Ektar was used for a lot of "newspaper" portraits of famous and infamous people

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To second Mike1234, but offer a lower cost alternative, the Kodak Anastigmat 203mm f7.7 is the same design as the Ektar but uncoated. They go much cheaper. It's one of the main lenses I use on my Speed and Graphic View - it also offers 5x7 coverage so you can get plenty of movements with it. Another option might be the Kodak Anastigmat 33 (it's 7 1/2", and usually goes fairly inexpensively in barrel - it was the lens on the 4x5 RB Graflex Series D). There's also the Anastigmat #34, which I think is even a bit longer.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here's a third with Mike and Foto for a 203 Ektar. If you fine one with an Epsilon shutter it is a direct screw in with a #0 Copal if you wanted to update. Wollensak/Optar also made one and they go for less money.
    Since it's a non tele you can use the sports finder.

I used my 203 a lot on the buildings in Asbury for detail shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for taking your time and helping me figure this out. I'll try the existing 135 first for a portrait, develop and see and then go from there and post my results.
    Thank you again.
    Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One thing you will want to know about it what is called a 'bellows extention factor"
    This is an effect where less light falls on the film when a lens is extended farther away from the 'infinity' position.

This effect will not be a problem for a human subject at full-length or half-length. But close for headshots or closer, you may need a bit more exposure.

search for bellows extention factor or calcuilator to find out more

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To offer advice on what will make a good portrait lens for you it's nice to know before-hand what you consider to be a good portrait. Super sharp and unflinching or soft and dreamy? Advice without qualifying information isn't worth much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin