Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,628   Online: 724

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've found a 180mm Fujinon W lens for sale that is claimed to cover 8x10. I'd love a lens in this focal length. Does anyone have experience with this lens on an 8x10? I cannot seem to find any information about the actual image circle size. Everything I find is for the newer 180mm CM-W which has a smaller image circle. How limited am I with movements etc?

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been wondering about this myself, and I believe that this lens has a 300mm circle at infinity and f22, so you'd be VERY limited movement wise. 180 is a rather awkward focal length for the 8x10.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here's what I've found out so far. The lens has a 305mm image circle. Thus, no front movements. With back tilt I think everything would be fine for the typical landscape (i.e. flowers foreground/mtns background). I am really attracted to this lens as it is the 8x10 equivalent of my favorite 4x5 lens (90mm). Perhaps I should keep my eyes peeled for a 150mm Nikon SW. It would allow lots of movements with its 400mm image circle.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Has anyone tried this lens stopped down to f45? How did it cover 8x10?
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 210 Fujinon SW has limited movements with 8x10 - I keep runiing into them! As far as equivalent goes - I have a lot more movements on the 4x5 with my 75mm Caltar II.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 210mm is close to my 240mm, which is currently my widest 8x10 lens. I always wanted to try a 75mm on my 4x5; however, I never got around to getting one. Perhaps the 150mm Nikon SW would do the trick. I'm going to give the 180mm Fujinon a try this weekend and see what I think. Perhaps at smaller aperatures it will work just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am in lust over the Schneider Super Symmar XL 210mm/5.6 (image circle 500mm, f22, at infinity).

It would be a nice compliment to the 8x10 Shen Hao that I am pursuing.

I have a 110mm f5.6 Super Symmar XL and it is a fantastic lens on my 4x5.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    There were two 180mm Fujinon W designs. The older, non-multi-coated one would cover 8 x 10 with some movement if stopped down to f16 or 22. The newer, multi-coated lens will not cover 8 x 10. So, how do you tell them apart? Easy. The older lenses have the name and focal length on the retaining ring around the front element. The later design had the text on the outside of the front cell. Also, the serial numbers for the older lenses are on the front, with the rest of the name and description; on the newer lenses, they are on the outside of the rear cell.

The coverage of the old lenses were 80 deg. The newer design only covered 72 deg. You can calculate the image circle from that if you're any good with trig.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to this Fuji lens site, none of the Fuji 180s cover 8x10. The single coated 180 W is the closest at 305 mm.

http://members.aol.com/subgallery/byfl.htm

The f/6.7 250mm W did cover 8x10 (IC 398), whreas the f/6.3 250 mm NW barely did IC 312).

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, how about that. Dug out the Fuji lit. The IC is 305mm for the older lens. Despite this, Fuji does say the "Recommended for film size (f22)" is 8 x 10.

Also, bear in mind, that's at f22 and the lens stops to 64. Plus, those figures are for infinity. As you move closer to your subject, the image circle will increase.

So, I'll modify my original post and say: "It depends." :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin