Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,282   Online: 844

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike, I suspect it will hurt resale values. So you should be able to get a good deal. I have tested mine and the the fresnel makes no noticeable difference, even with the 90mm lens. Shots with the 75mm also come out sharp, but I haven't tried it wide open. Worst case you end up with a camera without a fresnel - not really a big deal.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    Mike, I suspect it will hurt resale values. So you should be able to get a good deal. I have tested mine and the the fresnel makes no noticeable difference, even with the 90mm lens. Shots with the 75mm also come out sharp, but I haven't tried it wide open. Worst case you end up with a camera without a fresnel - not really a big deal.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. However, I'm assembling a dedicate 6x12cm kit based on a lightweight 4x5 body and the widest lens is a 38mm SA XL so I'll need a good WA focus panel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. However, I'm assembling a dedicate 6x12cm kit based on a lightweight 4x5 body and the widest lens is a 38mm SA XL so I'll need a good WA focus panel.
    You would definitely want to replace the stock fresnel then. It doesn't work very well with the 75mm lens (double images and seeming blurring in the corners). Getting a fresnel designed for such a wide angle lens would make sense. Placing it behind the glass would also be more convenient if you want to change fresnels with the lenses as some suggest you should.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    Placing it behind the glass would also be more convenient if you want to change fresnels with the lenses as some suggest you should.
    Hmm... I hadn't thought of that and missed those posts. I figured I'd just buy a second back if I find that need to switch focus panels but switching fresnels is certainly more economical. However, as others mentioned damage is much more easily done to an exposed plastic lens. Has anyone mentioned whether or not the fresnels work just as well mounted to the exterior of the GG?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Earlier this years I put a fresnel on my Crown Graphic behind the screen, I can use my 75mm f8 SA easily now, although it's going back on my 6x17 again next month, where it's the only lens I use.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There has been a rash of people (well, specifically one person) who do not own a Chamonix haranguing over on the LFForum about this issue. Because of this I am conducting a test this evening on film to see what part the fresnel plays in the final image. I don't want to deal with posting this and keeping up with discussions in multiple locations so I'm just going to provide a link from this thread to the one over at the LFForum detailing my testing procedure, asking for any suggestions you may have, and will serve as the repository for the resultant photographs.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=56511
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Shoot on rock-solid ground, not on the 2'nd floor, or someone will cry foul. Ehh... they probably will anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Shoot on rock-solid ground, not on the 2'nd floor, or someone will cry foul. Ehh... they probably will anyway.
    Not a problem. I'll be making the test in the basement of a building where I regularly do large scale art reproduction.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    There has been a rash of people (well, specifically one person) who do not own a Chamonix haranguing over on the LFForum about this issue. Because of this I am conducting a test this evening on film to see what part the fresnel plays in the final image. I don't want to deal with posting this and keeping up with discussions in multiple locations so I'm just going to provide a link from this thread to the one over at the LFForum detailing my testing procedure, asking for any suggestions you may have, and will serve as the repository for the resultant photographs.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=56511
    Thanks, Jeremy.

I've been following the rants over there for some time. (I've been a lurker there for a couple of years, but every time I start thinking about joining a discussion, a flame war breaks out, and things get nasty... besides, I'm afraid that on my first post, people are going to think that I'm the newest alias for a certain W.L. touting the wonders of a certain camera modification. )

In terms of the Chamonix discussion on this board, even though I do not use that camera, I have had some things to say. (mainly in terms of customer service) I don't like to see things get warped by personality issues, though.

I'll be watching to see how your testing is received over "there". I hope you'll have some pictures to support your findings to finally give creedence to one side or the other.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin