Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,759   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Went to a flea market and now I own two more cameras ...

... one of them being a Rochester Universal with a brass lens in an "Unicum" shutter. The shutter is not operational, but it seems to have all the parts. Does anyone have anything about repairing such shutters?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2146_cr.jpg  
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You found that at a flea market?! You have a much higher class of flea markets than we do. Nice find.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    You found that at a flea market?! You have a much higher class of flea markets than we do. Nice find.
    My thoughts exactly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! Great luck. I own a Rochester Universal and love it for the quality of the workmanship and compact design. I do not love the fact that the holders are 3/4" wider than "normal" and have no locking ridge on the side. You can't use regular 8x10 holders in this camera unless you make a different back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's a pretty early shutter/lens combo, as the lens still takes waterhouse stops! I've never had one apart, but that shutter shouldn't be TOO hard to fix, and once fixed, it should be quite reliable, as it is one of the double cylinder pneumatic shutters. It uses air pressure in the cylinders to regulate the speed of the shutter. Note I said reliable - not accurate - the speeds will in all likelihood be a bit slower than their indicated markings, but any one speed should be repeatably pretty close to half or double the next speed down or up from it. You'll need to get an air bulb and hose to make it work. Actually, I'd get that first, before attempting to repair the shutter. I'm sure it needs a good CLA, but make sure you're operating it properly before trying to perform an operation on it it may not need.

Shooter
    35mm
    Crap, I should've noticed that. Well, I didn't have any 8x10 holders and I only ordered one from eBay, which is not here yet. We'll see, maybe I'll make some holders or build some sort of adapter ...
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    35mm
    The lens does have the slit for waterhouse stops, but the shutter blades also seem to be designed to act as aperture.
    Sorin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd kill to find that at a flea market!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    I was in NYC, we don't have any good flea markets here (in Boston). It wasn't exactly cheap, I paid $300 for it.
    Sorin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may have already found this link, but here is nice site which describes this camera:

http://www.fiberq.com/cam/roc/univ.htm

Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin