Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,047   Online: 757

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg, while I use mine on a Wista the ring on the back is in exactly the same position on all my boards to well within 0.5mm. The boards I have are fully interchangeable with Linhof, Toyo, & Shen Hao cameras. There has be a small bit of tolerance on the camera's to allow the boards to fit, they are slipped in at an angle, unlike the Graphics, so the hole on the front standard is larger than that rear rings diameter, by maybe 2mm.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Shen Hao cameras are design to have the mounting hole located in the center of the circular light lip.

-Adam

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by S.K. Grimes View Post
    Shen Hao cameras are design to have the mounting hole located in the center of the circular light lip.

-Adam
    Thanks, Adam and Ian. That is the question I needed answered most. That means I will need to make the hole in my Kodak board in the center, as well. I appreciate everyone's patience and input.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Greg, while I use mine on a Wista the ring on the back is in exactly the same position on all my boards to well within 0.5mm. The boards I have are fully interchangeable with Linhof, Toyo, & Shen Hao cameras. There has be a small bit of tolerance on the camera's to allow the boards to fit, they are slipped in at an angle, unlike the Graphics, so the hole on the front standard is larger than that rear rings diameter, by maybe 2mm.

Ian
    But I don't have to have the board slipped in at an angle if I am making my own adapter. I am thinking of using the clips from a graphic and clamp from both top and bottom to allow the tightest possible fit in the baffle. I will bet a baord and see what I am up against.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adam's info above may pertain to 4x5 or older cameras, but my brand new FCL810-A is designed around a low hole in the lensboard and is shipped with a board as such.

The lens board I got with the camera (clearly marked "SHEN HAO" on the back) has a lowered hole.

The axis tilt on the front standard of my Shen Hao 8x10 is lined up with a lowered hole. I have C3 and a C1 boards there is no issue mounting a C3 shutter in the board with the low riding hole. Pictures show a Copal 3 mounted on a SHEN HAO brand lensboard with a low riding hole. If the lens were mounted up higher on the board, the lensboard locking mechanism would interfere.

Last edited by ic-racer; 10-21-2009 at 01:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Is the hole centered within the ring on the back or is it lower than that?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many camera's need the lens centred low (in the circle of the rear of the lens board) because the front standard has little drop front but plenty of rise. But it's always within the ring.

A year or so ago there where some tolerance problems with one of the Chinese 5x4's and the Linhof style board, but this was a front standard issue which should have been 100% compatible with any of the boards.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    Is the hole centered within the ring on the back or is it lower than that?
    The hole center is lower than the center of the ring on the back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg, I don't own any actual Shen Hoa lens boards, all of them are from different manufacturers.

I have the ubiquitous 4x5 wooden folder, which is pretty much what the majority of the owners have.

What I can tell you is that if you are wishing to put a large shutter, and/or large lens onto the 4x5, you'll more than likely have to have it centred, otherwise you will have some difficulty with external clearance on the front. The rear is fine for clearance, but the fron is bit tight.

I built my own lens board out of 3mm ply for a Calumet Ilex Caltar 215mm lens in a No. 3 Acme Synchro shutter (Ilex), it's a big mother on that camera, but it's beautiful.

The shutter has approximately 5.8mm clearance on all four sides from the edge of the lens board.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post

I have C3 and a C1 boards there is no issue mounting a C3 shutter in the board with the low riding hole.
    Try mounting one of the big scheinder lenses :o I couldn't manage unless I used a Sinar board. Fuji lenses weren't an issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin