Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,371   Online: 988

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Drop bed with 90mm on Anny Speed?

Hoping I don't need to. Due to the location of the tripod socket, I can't drop the bed on either of my heavy tripods.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is room in the budget for an alternate tri-pod head? I can drop the bed on my Anny when I have it mounted on a Manfrotto 808RC4.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy View Post
    Is room in the budget for an alternate tri-pod head? I can drop the bed on my Anny when I have it mounted on a Manfrotto 808RC4.
    Not at the moment. It will work with the Bogen 3025, and -- seems -- solid enough. Right now I use that with a wooden DDR-made tripod. If that combination doesn't prove strong enough I could switch to the Gitzo G410.

Thanks,
    Charles

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Wollensak Optar 90 with my CG and do not have to drop the bed. If I did have too I would run out of coverage. In any case if you have to drop the bed for say, a shot of the Grand Canyon here's what to do. Get a 1/4 inch piece of aluminum stock, around 2x4 inches. Drill one end with a 1/4 hole and drill and tap the other side to 1/4 x20. Use this spacer plate to shift the camera forward on the tripod head and drop away. Use a 1/4 X 20 X 1/2 inch bolt to mount the camera.

This is very easy to do and if you have no tools any seventh grade shop class could do it for you. If you find you use it often make it out of iron stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even a 75mm Super Angulon doesn't need the bed to be dropped, I assume your worried about getting the front in shot.

I can drop the bed with my tripods and if you compensate with rise and a bit of back tilt there's no coverage issues. A 90mm need very little tilt anyway compared to a 135mm or 150mm lens.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Even a 75mm Super Angulon doesn't need the bed to be dropped,
    But my 90mm Angulon needs the bed dropped?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For most uses I don't drop the bed with my 90mm Angulon, I use my Crown Graphic hand-held, but there are odd occasions where it's useful. I don't have an issue with any of my main tripods. Another option is to switch the front standard around to allow front tilt, but the camera may not close as the rangefinder runner fouls the standard on closing.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    But my 90mm Angulon needs the bed dropped?

I can't speak for the bed dropping. I can speak for my Pacemaker Speed Graphic and tripods. With a cable release and those tiny leaf shutters, unless you're in a howling hurricane, you don't need a lot of tripod or head. I have a Bogen 3021s (s for short) that holds up my Speed Graphic just fine. As a matter of fact, I regret not buying the 3021 regular size when they were being made. The 3021 is a much better tripod than those that replaced it. A New Jersey made Tiltall will do just fine for a Speed Graphic too.

Here's a thought: mount the lens, don't drop the bed, focus at infinity, take a picture. Find out for yourself what works & what doesn't work. Report back.

K.I.S.S. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm about 100 miles east of you in Wood County on some weekends when I'm not in Houston. Maybe we can meet somewhere in the middle. Swap yarns. Tell war stories. Grab a burger. Take a picture.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a thought: mount the lens, don't drop the bed, focus at infinity, take a picture. Find out for yourself what works & what doesn't work.
    No; it's that I have to drop the bed, or the end of the bed will be in the photo. I have several negatives featuring my speed graphic's bed at the bottom. I absolutely have to drop the bed with my 90mm angulon or it will be in the picture (when focused on infinity).

I recently shot a picture of a building with my speed graphic handheld at 1/100 with a leaf shutter, and made an extreme 10x enlargement. It was just as sharp as the picture taken with solid support. I think the mass of these cameras helps a lot with steadiness.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, now we know. Drop the bed. Tilt to vertical. Rise to center. Bob's your uncle!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin