Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,751   Posts: 1,670,572   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What 4x5 wide angle lens for my Korona?

I just got lucky on eBay last week and won an auction on a Korona in fairly decent condition. I think it's actually a 5x7 camera but it has a 4x5 back. Anyway, first order was to take my lenses I use for my Cambo and get them mounted on the lens boards. The Nikkor 210 mm works nicely, no problems there. The Schneider 90 mm on the other hand wants to be much closer to the film plane than the Korona will go. It will not focus to infinity and it seems like it doesn't want to focus even 10 feet away.. Don't know for sure right now where it will focus to but I know for sure this lens won't work. On the Cambo it wants the bag bellows anyway other wise its even too close for bellows. You cannot do any movements on the Cambo without the bag bellows. So... now I'm wondering what I can get for the Korona, wide angle wise. I'm a relative newcomer to large format so I lack the benefit of day to day working knowledge on all the different lens offerings out there. So I'm asking the community here to help me out by providing some pointers as to which lenses I should consider. As I am most interested in landscape work I would very much like a super wide, a wide and a normal lens. I've got the 210 Nikkor so I've got portrait lens covered.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about a ~135 from a crown graphic?

Also consider a recessed lensboard for the korona. 90 really shouldn't be that hard with a 4x5.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I can't remember the size of the Korona LB's but I "think" they're about 4 inches square, aren't they? If so then you could make a recessed board for the 90mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the lens boards are about 4" square and very thick. essentially you have less area to build a recessed board. You'd have a very difficult time cocking shutter, setting speed, aperture, etc.. I think recessed is out of the question frankly. I don't think all 90mm's need to be that close to the film plane. On my Cambo I have the recessed board for that lens and it is about 2-3 inches from the film plane focused at infinity. that's just not even able to be accomplished on this Korona. Then what if I wanted movements? The older lenses don't need to be so close to the film plane do they? The older lenses that don't stick out on both sides of the lens board that much....
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'll bet you could make a 25mm recessed board work just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I seriously doubt even that. I'd have maybe 1/4" clearance around the shutter, if that. The actual opening in the camera is much less than 4" outer diameter of lens board. Everything is thick.

Maybe I need to ask my question from a different angle. Do all 90 mm lenses require to be roughly 2 - 3 inches away from the film plane?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Mike that 135mm you have for sale.. how far away from the film plane does it need to be to focus to infinity?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    Maybe I need to ask my question from a different angle. Do all 90 mm lenses require to be roughly 2 - 3 inches away from the film plane?
    All the standard LF designs, yes. If you put an MF lens on there, no, but you don't want to do that.

Looking at my Schneider 90/8, there is almost certainly enough space for a recessed board. At least for wide-angle architecture, what you usually want is just shift, and for that a recessed board is fine. But frankly, maybe it isn't the best use of your time. If you want to do ultrawide and have movements e.g. for architecture, then you're much better off with a rail camera and bag bellows.

Again, 90 on 4x5 really isn't especially ultrawide... ~65 mm or 55 mm, now that's when most 4x5 field cameras start to have issues and need recessed boards. So it sounds like you are fighting a battle that may not be worth fighting with this camera body.

Anyway try a ~135. They are plentiful, small, inexpensive and quite good.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Perry, I have three 135mm lenses for sale... Birnbaum-Hirschberg f/6.3, Xenar f/4.7, and an Optar f/4.7. Which one are you interested in? I'll measure as closely as I can the distance of the rear glass to the focus plane at infinity for each one tomorrow.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was thinking a 135mm, After shooting a 210 and 90 for years I just got a 135mm Zeiss Tessar. Lately I'm shooting with a Calumet CC-400 and the 90 doesn't work very well. So far I'm really enjoying the 135mm focal length, no it's not super wide or anything, but is works very nicely on the Calumet and I'm sure It would work equally as well on the Korona. Nice thing too is that a 135mm lens isn't going to break the bank. I'm into the Tessar for about 90 usd and that's after I had Carol Miller do a clac on the shutter.

Roger

Roger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin