Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,605   Online: 827

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak 4x5 hangers

Hello,

Getting back into 4x5 and set to develop some films. I usually tray process (which is fine) but I also now have a set of kodak 4x5 hangers.

These are not the single 4x5 hangers but the large ones which hold 4 sheets of film each (and are 8x10 in dimension), side by side.

I dont really have proper containers for them to develop, stop and fix in, so I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for containers.

The containers would have to be sized to properly immerse the hangers but also have enough volume to hold sufficient developer (to avoid exhaustion) but not too big that I'm wasting chemistry.

I plan to at least use them for film washing after tray developing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you have any friends who can weld stainless steel?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I really like the Regal/Arkay Stainless Steel 8x10 Cut Film Developing Tank with 4 Quart Capacity, #81-4. They are expensive but the do last forever. The company is located in Milwaukee. No website but you can call them directly (414) 645-2050 or you can find them on Adorama.com or possible Ebay.

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! those arkay tanks are very nice . . . hmmm . . .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Since you will have to be in teh dark anyway, you can use the plastic containers from the kitchen section of a department store. Take a hanger with you to make sure it fits. eBay has a lot of large tanks just for this purpose, really cheap too. Get the 3.5 gallon size. And if you can find one of the racks that hold the hangers in the tank then grab it. This makes agitating all the hangers together much easier.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    that is an excellent idea Greg - looks like im headed to wally world

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Second to Greg's idea for another reason. Various folks over the years have had difficulty achieving uniform development with hangers. I have at times, and finally stopped using them. Others love them.
    The point I make is to make sure with a cheapie test that you will like the hangers before investing in expensive tanks. Do some tests with lots of clear smooth areas (like clear skies), the acid test for uniform agitation. For good measure, print them a bit contrasty to emphasize any mottling.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    You could also use containers meant to hold file folders. They are plastic so no leaks and even have lips on either side for the film hangers to rest. Will be in the school, office supplies of any store like walmart or office depot. I have used these for both 4x5 and 8x10 dip-n-dunk.
    Hope this helps
    PBrooks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Calumet sells a black plastic Cesco-lite style tank. Holds 3.5 gallons and is much cheaper than stainless steel. Will take about 12 4-sheet hangers at a time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CuS View Post
    that is an excellent idea Greg - looks like im headed to wally world
    For something a bit more substantial, check out the sizes available in marine battery cases at your local West Marine, etc.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin