Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,786   Online: 878

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As mentioned, I have a 90mm f8 Super Angulon coming tomorrow. I will be using it on my Toyo 45AII which has the original Toyo fresnel. I've heard mention of "wide angle" fresnels. Will the one that came in my Toyo be adequate? I've got a giant Harrison dark cloth which I thoroughly wrap up in when composing... Thanks in advance, fellows. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well... I routinely use the 90/8 without a Fresnel, so... you'll be fine, I'm sure!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are fresnels optimized for ultrawide lenses, but a 90mm on 4x5" hardly qualifies. A fresnel that is adequate for a normal lens should be fine with a 90mm.

Another trick if you occasionally use lenses 75mm and wider, but not often enough to install a dedicated fresnel for ultrawides is to use two fresnel lenses just for composition, the second one just held in place over the fresnel that is normally installed. You wouldn't use both for focusing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent, news. This 90 will be my 4th and probably last lens in the foreseeable future so looks like I'm set then. Thanks again. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also use a 90mm f6.8 Grandagon. The 67mm filter size matches one of my longer lenses. While not a compact lens, it is a reasonable carry size and weight. I have used it with transparency film, without a centre filter, and the results are quite good.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what one morning's experience is worth... I took the 90/8 SA MC out for sunrise through about 10am shooting before work today. Completely wrapped in my giant dark cloth I had no trouble fine focusing using David's - move the hotspot around the edges - method in very low light. I could see well enough to compose without moving around.

After the sun popped up brightness was a non issue. Thanks again fellows. Shawn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mmm... feels good, don't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Mmm... feels good, don't it?
    Sure does! =)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hello all,

I'm either going for the Nikkor f4.5 for the coverage or the SA f8 for the price (or the Nikkor f8, but it seems rare and around the same price as the 4.5 anyway).

Quick question - the single coated SA's go for much less on KEH, but people dont seem to factor it so much on eBay, hmmm. Considering its not going to be used so much for portraiture I figure the MC's are probably worth it... Your thoughts ?
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have found with my 90mm, that Lens Shades are pretty much useless (too small) and for at least 6 months of the year the sun is low enough to be in the angle of view

Therefore anything that can help reduce flare has got to be a good thing.

Martin

ps I have never understoof the pricing on eBay

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin