Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,702   Online: 1066

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The f8 Super Angulon does not have the coverage you need for movements. All of the current Rodenstock and Schneider 90mm lenses are high level and do cover. f6.8 is OK if you don't need the extra speed. I have had the 5.6 and 6.8 Schneiders and actually prefer the 6.8, both for the performance and the lighter weight. The Rodenstock f4.5 is my current 90mm, and I like it best of all, though if I had to carry it around would rather have the 6.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As I showed in a recent gallery post, the 90/8 SA more than amply covers 5x7. Granted, this was at ~40ft focus and without any major movements (just a bit of tilt and a little bit of rise) but I did not find myself anywhere near the edge of the circle at f/16. Just sayin'....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, he said it so - matter of factly - it must be so... =)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just got my Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 from UPS today, can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Focusing seems to be easier than I imagined, but I haven't tested it under my usual conditions. I have a Blackjacket focusing cloth and it can shut out damn near all light, so maybe that helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    yes a premium dark cloth helps immensely. The center is no problem but it gets hard to check the corners. especially if the camera is tilted up or in a tight area.
    I usually use a black t-shirt which is sub optimal, and the attached image was literally a pain in the neck.
    Zone VI 4x5, Super Angulon 80mm f8 MC (chipped)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PalaceFineArts01ss.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For posterity's sake:

It was mentioned early on, and Robert a few posts up mentioned that he purchased the Nikkor SW 90mm f/8. This lens is sort of the best of both worlds in my opinion. It has approximately the same image circle as all of the 90mm f/4.5 - f/5.6 lenses (except the larger and much more expensive Schneider 90mm XL), but is smaller (67mm filters) and lighter due to the f/8 maximum aperture. It is a very nice lens, very sharp.

With this lens, backpackers can have their cake and (almost) eat it too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    As I showed in a recent gallery post, the 90/8 SA more than amply covers 5x7. Granted, this was at ~40ft focus and without any major movements (just a bit of tilt and a little bit of rise) but I did not find myself anywhere near the edge of the circle at f/16. Just sayin'....
    I'd have to agree, unless you just want to bend the bellows into a pretzel just 'cuz, for anything but the most extreme of movements the 90 f8 SA suits me just fine.

erie

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nikkor 4.5 arrived today - really nice specimen.

Coming from 8x10 and ULF the size and weight of it really are minimal. The brightness - wooo - like looking at the light shining outta my bottom on the GG

Stopping down to f8 is a bit dimmer but not an insurmountable challenge in composition/focus (as has been confirmed by few people here). Still glad I got that extra coverage however, off to buy a bag bellows :rolleyes:
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin