Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,830   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

90mm lenses for 4x5 - nikkor, super duper angulons etc...

Hello all,

I'm about to cart my Sinar P 4x5 over here to Aus - I would like a widish lens (my widest is a 360mm that covers 8x10) ...

I have on offer:

Nikkor 90mm f4.5
    Super Angulon 90mm f5.6
    Super Angulon 90mm f8

Prices follow the order (highest down)

I'm thinking the f8 as I don't need the speed particularly - but its coverage is just that little bit less - (aware that speed and coverage are connected somewhat).

But 100deg (216mm) vs. 105deg (235mm) for the faster two...

Yes, I'll be doing shifts - your thoughts ?

Maybe I'd regret the money 'saved' on the f8 ? :rolleyes:

Nick
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO 90/8 is pretty pain to focus in less-than-favorable light. Doable, but no fun at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go for the fastest that you can afford. The wides are always darker on your GG than normal or teles, with the edges being harder to define. Having an F8 is just going to make it a bit harder. I have the Rodenstock Grandagon, at 6.8 it's a bit dim, that 4.5 Nikkor would be nice. The lens quality is brilliant however, so I will stick with it, has excellent coverage too.
    I rarely use my 90 at less than F11, so speed is not a problem with the actual picture taking, just the viewing.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    so speed is not a problem with the actual picture taking, just the viewing.
    ah, interesting ...

I'll take the advice re. viewing into consideration - but what of the image circle difference for architectural applications ?

Before you mention it, nope I cant afford the XL's and other bigger 90mm's :rolleyes:
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would probably go with the Nikkor 90mm f4.5 for the reasons already given, brighter screen image. This lens has good coverage with an image circle of 235mm at f16, so will cover 5x7. Interestingly enough the f8 90mm Nikkor has the same size image circle but of course comes with a dimmer viewing image. The f4.5 is a bit of a large lens requiring 82mm filters.

Like Tony I use a 90mm f6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon and I too find viewing edge definition in low light difficult at times even with a wide angle fresnel fitted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am a big fan of the 90/8 SA. Speed be damned, that lens rocks. And it covers 5x7 amply. So, no, you won't regret the 90/8 and the money you save can be put toward a 65
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I am a big fan of the 90/8 SA. Speed be damned, that lens rocks. And it covers 5x7 amply. So, no, you won't regret the 90/8 and the money you save can be put toward a 65
    I just picked up a 90/8 SA (should be in transit now) so I'm glad to hear your positive recommendation! I'll report back in a week or so once I've exposed some film and made a few prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the Super Angulon f8: sharp lens but as others have said, a pain to focus in low light. Wish I had saved my money and put it towards a faster lens. Go for ths Nikon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. IIRC Ole Tjugen is also a fan of the 90/8.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Composing with a wide lens is as much a matter of technique and patience as anything. Use a good darkcloth that actually keeps stray light out and let your eyes adjust, and you can compose with a 90/8.

Move your head around and follow the hotspot to see where the edges of the frame are, if you're not using a fresnel. You might have to imagine what the whole scene looks like, if you can't see it all on the groundglass at once, and then just look at it without the camera to see if the edges of the frame are where you want them to be.

If you've got a groundglass with cut corners, you can use them to check for vignetting and excessive falloff of illumination at the shooting aperture, and if you don't have cut corners, you can look through the lens at the groundglass.

While the brighter groundglass with a faster lens is a convenience, it's not a necessity, but the greater coverage is an advantage for architectural photography and some landscape situations.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin