Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,551   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The biggest problem I have with my Darkcloth in windy weather is that it acts like a sail and tries to topple my Camera/Tripod.

Having to hanging on to the Tripod with one hand and trying to use a View Camera with the other is no fun

I have invested in a large string bag, which can be filled with large stones/small rocks, and attached to the hook on the bottom of my Tripods' Centre Column.

It’s not perfect but the whole assembly is a heck of a lot more stable with the stones as ballast than without them.

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Somewhat related to another post of mine re: sturdier tripod. It was a very breezy day to say the least and trying to keep the dark cloth under control while trying to focus, etc. was quite the challenge. I could have used another set of hands. Any tricks or tips you have found useful in situations like this?
    Sometimes a darkcloth just isn't convenient no matter what you do. I think it's a good idea to have strings or distance markings noted on your baseplate/rail so that you can focus hyperfocally, in a pinch.

Anyway, my best darkcloth has lead weights in the corners. At the kind sof winds that disturb it, I wouldn't be able to use any bellows focusing camera* anyway... so it's moot.

*With possible exception of the rb
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because it's almost always windy here, I use two black t-shirts, one inside the other, put the neck over my neck, and stretch the waist over the camera only when composing and focusing. That way, I wear the dark cloth over my neck all day - no worry about the darkcloth sail tipping over the camera.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some interesting ideas here, folks. Thanks.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is a heavy duty Calumet cloth with weighted corners, or you can attach weighted film hanger clips.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I use a btzs cloth for 4x5 through 12x20, you might consider that as well.

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/produ...products_id=32

Dick Phillips recommends these for his cameras. The one for the 7x17 is a little loose on the 8x10, but works well.

Two of us (12x20 and 7x17) were up 90 feet on the new bridge over the Maumee River just south of you in Toledo. It was fine early in the morning, no wind. By afternoon we could just barely hang on. A worker had died in a fall when some scaffolding let go off the side a day or so before. The nice lady working for ODOT who was driving us around just parked her 18 foot extended van up wind of us and we were back to working conditions. The btz hood is probably cheaper and less maintenance than the state employed pregnant lady driving the 18 foot extended van.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly enough, that was sort of the area I was in. I had driven passed the mosque at the intersection of I-475 and I-75 many times and always thought it might make a nice pic under the right conditions.. oh, and with a camera in the hands of someone competent might help. I was out behind the building in a field and waited for gusts to subside before tripping the shutter. Still don't know whether it worked or not as I haven't developed the film yet.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    oh, and with a camera in the hands of someone competent might help. .
    oh, you hadn't said that part was in the requirement.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I run into that problem often, since I shoot around windy buildings, or at the beach. Worst is when I am sweating and the wind is really going, then the tube dark cloth I use just sticks to my face. What I really think would be the best choice would be one of those viewing prisms, though unfortunately they take up much space in the gear bag. I know a few other pro shooters who use the viewing prisms in windy conditions, with the Linhof reflex viewer being the favorite. I think Toyo and Ebony also have straight viewing bellows, though I am not sure how much better they are in the wind.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    oh, you hadn't said that part was in the requirement.

John

Sadly, the prevailing weather conditions have little to do with that part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin