Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,018   Online: 666

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I unfold the darkcloth just enough that I can drape it over the top of the camera when it is windy.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I still just use my sweatshirt, raincoat, whatever.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Somewhat related to another post of mine re: sturdier tripod. It was a very breezy day to say the least and trying to keep the dark cloth under control while trying to focus, etc. was quite the challenge. I could have used another set of hands. Any tricks or tips you have found useful in situations like this?
    Hook and loop strips sewn or adhered to the cloth...secures the cloth to the view camera, and strips along the bottom edge keep it more a tube which you plug with your head and shoulders

Shooter
    35mm

Elastic Loop

I had my wife sew a 1" wide strip of elastic, in a loop, to the forward edge of the focusing cloth, for about 6-8". Its looped around the top of the rear standard and at the bottom just forward of the adjusting knobs.(Toyo 45 A II)
    I find it much easier to use than clips, and probably similar in use to the t- shirt method.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Velcro on the dark cloth strapped around the legs of my tripod, and around the lens/camera and a bungy cord from the tripod to my backpack to stabilize the rest while I am taking a picture. While I am focusing the Velcro helps a lot and if it is not in the "right" place i keep a couple of old fashioned clothes pins in my bag to keep the cloth in place.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Self-adhesive Velcro strips (get the heavy-duty extra-sticky kind). Place them strategically in three or four-inch lengths to allow you to stick edges and sides to the dark cloth together. Carry some extra in your bag for emergencies.

Or, you can sew them (or have them sewn) on to your dark cloth. I made my own out of white Gore-Tex and a lightweight black lightproof cloth lining. I had Velcro strips sewn the length of all four sides (correctly oriented male/female of course). I fold it male-to-male so the Velcro doesn't stick to itself when stored, but use it so that I can make a tightly-sealed tube if needed. I have a strip of Velcro on the camera as well to hold the cloth there. The waterproof Gore-Tex is a Godsend when working around unpredictable surf, etc.

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin