Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,473   Posts: 1,570,969   Online: 825

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad it meets your expectations and you're pleased with it! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it on the happy road to doomdedness (once you get a tripod of course - and a lens, filter, dark cloth, cable release, loupe). Seriously, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy playing with my 4x5.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that I've had a moment to play with the new toy in daylight, I'm astonished to report that my 135mm Color-Skopar (from a 9x12 cm Voigtlaender Avus) appears to cover the 5x7 format nicely! Haven't tried the Heliar yet, but this already means that I have a nice wide-angle lens in a working shutter.

I have, though, a dumb question: How am I actually supposed to mount it to the lensboard? I can place the shutter on a lensboard, with the threaded portion sticking into the hole and enough clearance that something could screw onto it and hold it in place, but what's supposed to thread onto it? Do I need to find a machine shop that can cut me a mounting flange to fit the threads, or something?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess it depends on how deep the threads are on the lens. Lots of the old lens' had brass mounting flanges you screwed to the lens board then screwed the lens on. Before you spend too much time and money on this, make sure the lens will cover 5X7. SK Grimes can fix you up, no doubt.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another excellent lens for 5x7 is a Kodak Ektar 203mm/ 7.7. Small and vary sharp. They show up on Ebay quite regularly. Try to hold out for one that has a good shutter as described by the seller.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the behemoth works. Attached is a print of the first-light photo, taken with a 210mm Fujinar-SC and contact-printed on Fomalux; mhcfires and I had it out in the field this morning (along with a cross-section of his remarkable equipment collection) and burned a few more sheets, which are now drying and look reasonable at a quick glance.

I expect to have quite a bit of fun with this camera. Just looking at the ground glass is pretty exciting, and while the photo here is nothing special in itself, seeing it as a contact print of that size really knocked my socks off. There's just Something About Contact Prints.

-NT

Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin