Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,698   Posts: 1,482,559   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Goerz Dagor 168mm f6.8 lens

I just picked up a Dagor to use on my 9x12 camera and have read that it has a large coverage, even up to 8x10, stopped down. Is this correct? Also it doesn't have a series number, just Goerz, Berlin Anastigmat-Dagor. I think from the serial it is early 20's. So, this is a nice lens yes, as in famous Dagor? These 20's lenses are becoming my favourite, Tessar and Heliar also, wonderful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of these, yes, it covers 8x10. It's the only Dagor I have used, and I haven't used it very much, so I can't say how it compares.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have it too. Very nice lens for alt processes, I made cyanotype still life in my gallery with it. If wide open it has some sort of glow which might have influence on density (pardon my eng.).

Cheers,
    Ugo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A normal Dagor (Goerz AM Opt) 165mm will cover 7"x9" @ f45 and 5"x8" @ f16, the much later AM Opt 6½" WA Dagor only covers 10x8 @f45t, so I think your German 168mm will be quite similar to the US 165mm in it's coverage.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have it as well, and it does cover 8x10". There could be some variation among these, since coverage can depend on the cell spacing in the shutter and the diameter of the shutter opening.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one also, but in an empty Compur. The cells have special threads, so it seems impossible to find another shutter for them. How good is the lens, really? Is it worth to have a "new" shutter machined to fit the cells?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 12" Dagor (Goerz AM Opt) is wonderful, but how much I'd spend on re-shuttering another I'm not sure

I'd test it first using a Packard or Thornton Pickard shutter, but does yours have the aperture control still. You are caught by the lack of a standard in older Compurs.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just use f64.........and 25asa film, long exposures I know, but can be good.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My 12" Dagor (Goerz AM Opt) is wonderful, but how much I'd spend on re-shuttering another I'm not sure

I'd test it first using a Packard or Thornton Pickard shutter, but does yours have the aperture control still. You are caught by the lack of a standard in older Compurs.
    Darn, I always forget that my father can make adapters for me if I can persuade him to visit his old workplace. I would get them free.

Yes, the Compur still has the aperture mechanism, so maybe I should try it with slow film, as Anton suggests. I could use a loose fitting lens cap, remove it for exposure, and then cover the lens with my hand and slide the darkslide back.

I have two Dagors in working shutters, one 10 and one 13cm, plus a Steinheil Orthostigmat 13,5cm, Zeiss Doppel-Amatar 13,5cm and a RÜO Iricentor 18cm, so I'm in no hurry - but it doesn't feel good to have a lens I can't use.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    Darn, I always forget that my father can make adapters for me if I can persuade him to visit his old workplace. I would get them free.
    I talked to him yesterday about it. He's very reluctant, but agreed to take a look at the lens cells and shutters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin