Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,774   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens for 8x10

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Lens for 8x10

I recently bought my first 8x10 camera (an Eastman 2-D) last week on craigslist and my second (a ROC Universal) through the classifieds here yesterday but still have no lenses really able to cover the size. I have a 7" Darlot Petzval that rolls off heavily into the corners (vignettes really) and an 8"-9" Voigtlander which is not quite as bad but close. I tried a 5"x7" Wollensak Symmetrical in all three configurations with similar results to the Voigtlander. I have a couple of old B&L RRs that are marked as 5x7 but I don't expect them to be any different.

Any suggestions for a budget lens so I can start playing around with the format? I'll probably try the Voiigtlander or the Symmetrical for portraits - I think the roll off into the corners will work okay there - but I'd like something to try a landscape or portrait wihtout the vignette. Since neither of those cameras has much in the way of movements, having much more coverage than 8x10 is not very important.

I've heard the 168mm Dagor covers 8x10 - any truth to that? - although I don't think it fits my idea of budget.

Thanks,
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are not set on a wide angle then 300mm lenses (11" to 13") in #3 shutters should all cover. They are not that expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Budget" means different things to different people. I think the best buy for people starting out in LF is the Commercial Ektar. In fact, they are good enough that you don't need to change even when you can afford it. You can get a 14 inch Commercial Ektar in an Ilex shutter in very good condition for about $500, sometimes much less if you don't mind minor imperfections like cleaning marks.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilex Paragon lenses often sell for less than the "brand" names of the era. They were mostly copies of Kodak's Ektar lenses, with less stringent quality controls applied during manufacturing so quality can vary a bit. Still, pretty good lenses. Caltar lenses may also be had for less -- they were made by different manufacturers and even when made by big names such as Rodenstock or Schneider often sell for less because they have the "Caltar" name on them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You surely can't get any cheaper than the Russian 300mm lens fitted to the FKD cameras?! I'm pleased with mine, but as usual with Russian gear, I'm led to believe the quality can be variable.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    "Budget" means different things to different people. I think the best buy for people starting out in LF is the Commercial Ektar. In fact, they are good enough that you don't need to change even when you can afford it. You can get a 14 inch Commercial Ektar in an Ilex shutter in very good condition for about $500, sometimes much less if you don't mind minor imperfections like cleaning marks.
    I agree, the Commercial Ektars are very nice optics and are a bargain in the 8x10 class. I've seen the 360mm (14inch) sell for as low as $350 on Ebay. Most will be in the $450 -550 range, the shutter has a lot to do with the price as well. The Universal Synchro is the preferred shutter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    John, yes, you are quite right. They don't usually come in Ilex's, if at all. Brain fart on my part.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm now looking at Comm Ektars (many of which are in Ilex Acme shutters) although they don't quite meet my current, for this exercise, definition of budget. A 300mm Russian FKD might work. I'd like something in the Bausch RR style for right now, but I don't know what one of those would run in the 8x10 size (if they even come that big)

Images
    You should probably get a different definition of budget. When I moved to 8x10 I realized my definition of budget would have to change or I would have to give up the format. I changed my definition of budget based on a newly discovered idea of priority, and patience(sp). In other words: what was I going to be shooting, what did I need to shoot it, and finally what was available. Then I saved my money until I could afford what I needed. Hard to save money though. Too many things to buy.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For portraits I enjoyed using Wollensak Velostigmat 12" (not the expensive version) for a couple of years but once I purchased a Kodak Commercial Ektar 14" I really fell in love.

For landscapes I haven't hit on any revelation like that Ektar, but I'm trying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin