Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,504   Online: 684

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 1937 pre-Anniversary Speed. I put a small washer under the spring back, it gave just that much more clearance so that I could use a Grafmatic changer. It might be just what you need to give clearance for that Polaroid back.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Hi All,

Looking to get set up with a 4x5 for doing some work with the 4X5 Fuji instant films. I'd like some movements and some portability so I was figuring on a Speed/Crown Graphic with a Fuji PA-45 back. Problem is I know nothing about these cameras so I'm not sure what model to be looking for and was hoping for some advice on which model and any lens suggestions (I tend towards a wide normal or medium tele with my lenses).

I know some have a built in shutter but I'm not a fan of the whole Petzval, soft focus, old lens stuff so that isn't a deal breaker.

Thanks for any advice,

Jim
    Whatever, you need the Graflock back ala Crown Graphic, etc in order to handle the thickness of that Fuji back. The ordinary Graflex spring back won't do it. At least mine won't.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I probably should have made myself a bit more clear. It was suggested to me by one of the fellows on the graflex.org to put washers under the springs on the spring back. This really did give me the added space to use the grafmatic changer. I don't know if it is any thicker than the Fuji back, but I was afraid that I was going to break something before this simple modification.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcfires View Post
    I probably should have made myself a bit more clear. It was suggested to me by one of the fellows on the graflex.org to put washers under the springs on the spring back. This really did give me the added space to use the grafmatic changer. I don't know if it is any thicker than the Fuji back, but I was afraid that I was going to break something before this simple modification.
    I did the washer modification and the Polaroid 405 holder now fits fine... except on the home-made 4x5 adapter back I have for a 5x7.... I forgot that the wood around the borrowed Speed-Graphic back would pose a problem in clearance. The bump on the bottom of the 405, intended to make it easier to pull the holder out of the camera back when changing holders, extends too far toward the front of the camera to allow the 405 to be inserted. Back to the drawing board.

Funny, but I never seem to be able to envision the whole problem from the get-go. I do one step, screw something up, rebuild, fix another problem, and so on, and so on... Ah well, keeps me busy and I don't make my living through this. As I have said before, doing it right the first time doesn't allow one to learn from mistakes... can't have that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    Which makes me wonder why the B&J press (Watson?) is so rarely mentioned... but has nice looking front movements and a very stiff rotating back (presumably the stiffness could be remedied). And, I have yet to use it, sticking with the Crown.

Dan
    I have a Burke and James 4x5 press camera and the back is also very stiff. Maybe Dans shouldn't own these things.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm resurrecting this thread to ask about the actual image coverage on fuji 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 instant film as compared to 4x5.

I have an anniversary speed graphic, old-style spring back, and I just noticed that the fuji instant film holders (fuji pa-145 & fuji pa-45) can fit under the ground glass with a little bit of modification.

My question is, does the image fit the entire film surface or do I get any black stripes?

I guess that for the smaller film, it should fit the entire image, but I'm not sure about the 4x5 film.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin