Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,055   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Graphic w/polaroid back - What would I need?

Hi All,

Looking to get set up with a 4x5 for doing some work with the 4X5 Fuji instant films. I'd like some movements and some portability so I was figuring on a Speed/Crown Graphic with a Fuji PA-45 back. Problem is I know nothing about these cameras so I'm not sure what model to be looking for and was hoping for some advice on which model and any lens suggestions (I tend towards a wide normal or medium tele with my lenses).

I know some have a built in shutter but I'm not a fan of the whole Petzval, soft focus, old lens stuff so that isn't a deal breaker.

Thanks for any advice,

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What type of imagery... landscapes, architecture, portraits? How much coverage will your lenses have for movements... what FL's will you have?

Shooter
    35mm
    Portraits and trains with a touch of landscape. I haven't picked a lens yet so I was hoping for some suggestions there too. I don't need crazy movements mostly just rise and fall with a touch of shift.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's an ecclectic mix. Do you expect to shoot ultra-wide or very long lenses? The Graphic press cameras have a bit of rise/fall but shift isn't available on any of them except the Super Graphics, IIRC. Do you care about utilizing the rangefinder or are you composing via GG?

Shooter
    35mm
    My 1953 Speed Graphic has a touch of rise & a touch of shift. Touch is the right word. Maybe 1/2 inch of shift and 1" of rise. Someone who has actually measured such things can tell us exactly. You can approximate fall by dropping the bed and tilting the lens back to vertical. The 127mm Ektar lens that comes on many of these Oldies But Goodies is plenty sharp, slightly wide (kinda like a 35mm-40mm lens on 35mm film) and has just enough image circle to accommodate the Speed's limited movements. A nice, cheap way to enter 4x5.

And furthermore:

I have used a 105mm lens on the Speed without difficulty. You will run out of bellows for a telephoto lens at 13". 12"/305mm is a stretch. 8"/210mm is comfortable. In fact, you can get very close to or equal to 1:1 with a 7 7/8" lens.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    35mm
    and another thing...........

The Polaroid 550 holder works with Fujiroid 4x5 material. Polaroid 405 (somebody verify that number) with Fujiroid 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" products.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Anniverary 4x5 SG has 345mm of bellows ext., the longest of any other Graflex Press model, according to the graflex.org website. Don't know if that matters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mike:

My goto focal lengths across formats seem to be about the same, in 35 it's 35mm and 75-85mm. Shift is not really necessary so it's not a huge deal, again I know little about these cams so I didn't realize shift wasn't really an option. I'd probably use the GG to compose.

Wayne:

the 127 sounds great as does the 210mm. Thanks for the tip on the 550 holder too, makes the market a little wider when you have more options.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jim,

A good option for an 8" lens is the Ektar 203mm f7.7 (or Kodak Anastigmat 203mm). It can cover 5x7 with a little movement and is sharpest wide open. Makes a nice complement to the 127mm Ektar.

Look for a Pacemaker Graphic (Speed or Crown) with a Graflok back. The Speed's rear shutter adds weight and increases the depth of the body (which might be a problem with wider lenses - at 90mm, the front standard on my speed is just clear of the body)

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you routinely crop your 135 film to 8x10 or do you print FF 6.7x10? This makes a difference regarding what you do with 4x5 (crop or not) and choice of FL's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin