Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,754   Online: 991

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    For instance, if you want to show how to photograph a tall building with a view camera, take one straight on shot of the building, one pointing the camera up on the tripod, one attempting to correct perspective with rear tilt, and another with front rise and the camera level, and explain each photograph, also showing the movements applied to the camera.
    This is exactly what I do to demonstrate these movements to my Large Format classes using Fuji instant film. They see the movement applied and the resulting image, and a comparison to the previous image without the movement having been applied.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, John. Hang tight, I'll get to it.

You're right, definitely not a pro job. It is perspective you're looking for, not perspection. You come over kinda dryish. Someone probably took exception to your presentation style and focused on a couple of points just to make theirs.

You know what? So what! I now know you, your voice, your face, and know that if I ever were to come back to Louisville for some White Castles I would have to look you up in Richmond (not sure where that is).

Don't sweat. I love the 'Doin' the Twist.' Puts me in mind of some A of G preachers from my childhood. And that's, that's, about all. ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd drop the comedy
    I dont believe you care if a single person learns anything about these cameras
    Last edited by sun of sand; 12-01-2009 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Last edited by sun of sand; 12-01-2009 at 09:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh God, some of those comments are just so grossly stupid. Please, who do they bloody well think they are with no references to any of their own work or skills capacity, they could be flipping burgers at McChuckers for kicks, rather than working earnestly on LF skills!

Here some of my observations:

Subtitles for hearing impaired people would be a very good idea as you gain skills and tinker with movies over time, and:

• Have good lighting present soft focal spots, for yourself and camera/hands
    • Keep your face in full view of the camera: you do this well, but not consistently
    (and speak well, too), but the lighting is less than ideal and there are some obstructions and fumbly moments (we all have them!);
    • Don't look down or away at such an angle as to impede viewer lipreading capacity
    • Zoom in on important points such as movement controls.

I like the video and I personally (as an art critic who literally set fire to a photograph with words) I'm not going to stoop so low as the utterly reprehensible respondents to your post on YouTube. I like your response:

If you do not have a video yourself, or at least a web page, please do not comment. If you think you can make a better video, then do so. I encourage all videos about large format photography. If you think this video is horrible, simply comment and correct a mistake. I do not care if you think the video is crap. If you have nothing constructive to say, I will delete your comment.

—spot on!
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 12-01-2009 at 11:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, you all have inspired me to make a better video. And now, with the proper tools to do so, I shall. Thank you, and this wonderful community, for the corrections, and the encouragement!
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're Welcome, John. Like I said, they're just bored and small minded to just be picking on someone.

I liked the video very much. It wasn't stiff. You dropped things.

Hey, when you get your new video up and runnning, add it to the videos here on APUG.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Great start! Not much for me to add to the other posts here.

Some random suggestions:

Clear the table of unneeded stuff (distracting)
    Better yet, put the camera on a tripod instead of loose on the table
    Be next to the camera, not behind it (the tripod might help this)
    Use the video camera focused on the GG to demo movements -- some tabletop still lives would be useful (get a lens!)
    Try to cover the same info in half the time

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking forward to the next video.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin