Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,356   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Constructive Criticizm please.

So I have a set of videos on youtube. I made them to help people understand what all went on with large format cameras. I did not make them for photographic genius or people that wrote text books.

At the time, there were almost NO videos about 8x10 cameras on youtube. I wanted to see what other people were saying about it, so I just decided to help out, and made my own.

Recently, there have been many negative comments in the way I have presented information in my video. If you would be so kind, please watch some of this video and give me feedback as to what you think.

I respect this community, and the wisdom of its members. I think the majority of the people (whos non-helpful comments have been deleted), had a problem with the word "perspection". I also think, that if you have a camera to go play around with, the way I describe movements will make more sense. Thus, I come to the people in the know.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N5Yq4JR2ug
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm don't have a large format camera(I wish I did), the video seems OK to to me. I can't understand what the negative comments could be about.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    John, I wouldn't worry so much about what other people think. Some people are just jerks. The video could certainly be improved but, hey, I'm terrible in front of a camera so I wouldn't even make the attempt. I applaud your diligent efforts which far surpass what most would try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi John!
    I've watched the #1 video in the same series and there's nothing wrong with your ambition. In my mind you definitely have the ability to produce good instructional videos. What seem to be lacking is experience with the medium, so there is definitely hope.
    All the pieces are there, but in a somewhat ackward order. I.e. you start with presenting the camera and some of its movements from a distance with yourself in the picture. Half way into the video you just about do the same thing again but with your video camera much closer to the camera. The second part makes much more sense, simply because it's easier to see what's going on, which makes a large section of the first part redundant. While I've only watched part or the #3 film, it's just about the same pattern. (Btw, I think there are plenty of videos on how to load a film holder, so you can either skip that part or make a separate video out of it.)
    Now, making good instruction videos is not an easy task and you are indeed doing quite a few things right. But it's somewhat longish and static. So in order to improve on your videos, try to make some kind of storyboard and add some tempo to it using a pre-written manuscript. Second, try to edit your videos and use shorter scenes, where you cover one subject in a scene and then change the angle or whatever for the next scene. As you can waste minutes of scenes and retakes at will with modern digicams without bothering about film cost etc. it should be quite easy to rise your project to the next level. Just be prepared having to go through a number of revisions before you find your own reciepe for success. (It's just about the same thing as learning that 8x10" and the progression from "just being able to make a shot with it" to "mastering the camera".)
    You are doing the very right thing in asking a dedicated community for criticizm as we know what you are trying to achieve. I do look forward to seeing your next phase. Keep up your work.

//Björn

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Are you sure you have the right word? If you type “define perspection” into Google they return definitions for perspective. Perspective is certainly something you are trying to control with a view camera.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Okay, John. It seems there will be some interaction going on here. You've made a good move in posting for advice. May I suggest you seek someone with a lot of LARGE FORMAT and some STORYBOARDING and SCRIPTING experience to step in? They could supply a storyboard and a script from which to work. That's the very best advice I can give except be sure to use CUE CARDS and STICK TO THEM. Oh... and you don't have to do the shoot in one take... BREAK IT UP into several WELL-PLANNED/ORGANIZED SHORT TAKES and EDIT the BEST ones into one refined FINAL CUT.

EDIT: It's important to use visual aids when explaining a complex idea. I suggest you either find those and ask permission to reproduce them or ask a computer graphics person for help. Or... you could just supply wikipedia or e-how links if available.
    Last edited by Mike1234; 12-01-2009 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,

Beside the garbled word (perspection is not in any dictionary I can find), the video is a very good attempt to perform a useful service. I commend you for trying to make these videos. Having said this, I suggest you try different camera angles and better lighting, so that the items you are trying to show us are easier to see. I don't have any idea what kind of equipment or software you have access to, so I don't want to be too prescriptive, but editing for detail and effect would help you get your point across. I teach video making to middle and high school students, and I realize the challenge you've taken on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the advice. I should have pointed out, I really wanted to know about my content. I agree, after several months, the length of the videos are a bit long. They have been up for quite some time. My problem was the comments on the way I presented content. I am never one to say that I know everything. I don't know everything, and thus, is why I like this community!

Thanks again.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do end up feeling they are OK after a retake, please do post links to your videos in the new APUG Video section, for example in your case in the "Equipment" section.

I somehow mysteriously ended up being top contributor in adding video links, but that was only because I posted a lot of links to videos about photographers...

We could certainly use a lot more links to equipment, film, paper chem, darkroom etc... if others know good links, put them up too in the Video section of APUG.

You just need to copy the YouTube link and hit the "Load information" button. Really easy!

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I looked at #3, and I think Björn makes a good point that the main thing you need at this point is more experience with the medium, as there are a number of things that aren't quite accurate, such as confusing tilt with swing at certain points, and, for instance, even though you can correct the shape of objects with rear tilt, when photographing a tall building it would be much more common to use front rise, because rear tilt alone will introduce a focus problem, and using front tilt to solve the focus problem will require pointing the camera up, and before you know it, you've applied indirect front rise, which is effectively the same as using front rise to begin with.

So here's what you might try--for everything you want to illustrate, make a photo, scan the photo, and cut a slide of the image into the video. For instance, if you want to show how to photograph a tall building with a view camera, take one straight on shot of the building, one pointing the camera up on the tripod, one attempting to correct perspective with rear tilt, and another with front rise and the camera level, and explain each photograph, also showing the movements applied to the camera. You could shoot the video in the field and cut the slides in later. I think this kind of approach might both firm up your own knowledge and help you make a more useful video for others.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin