Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,868   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

traveling to israel with an 8x10 in a back pack cary on?

What should I expect getting on a plane with an 8x10 as a cary on in back pack... and Ries tripod in a cary on case...

Film and other gear is shipped a head of time , so no worry there , but for those who have done this sort of thing, Would you have some wornnings I should be prepaired for ?

Thank you ,

Ilya
    Last edited by ilya1963; 12-04-2009 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've never tried to carry on a huge tripod like a Ries..depending on the paranoia of your airline, that may be an issue.
    However if you have a good pack for your camera it shouldn't be a problem for overhead storage - I've done that (well, not with an 8x10) on a few overseas flights. It maybe worth checking the dimensions of your airline's overhead storage area online against your packed up kit.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you Colin, 6 years ago I traveled with this set up to California without an issue , it's the international flights that I don't know about , is there much more scrutiny ?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have been stopped twice at security for my tripod (once in Nice last month, and once in Oslo last year), and had to go back to check it unprotected at the oversize baggage. I will not take a tripod again in carry-on. It could be apparently used as a weapon, even if it is in carbon. So I asked to see the paper where it is written, you know, as we already cannot take liquids, tooth-paste, nail-clipper, knives and guns. Then they called the chief who told me that if I protest, they will call the police and that the police will tell me the same thing. People behind me getting impatient, and me, bare feet, getting pissed-off. I had to eventually stand down as it was going nowhere...But then again, it could be different policies in different airports, and my guess is that flying to Israel requires higher security clearance.
    Camera is no issue, they will just swab it for explosive residue (almost all the time when I take my lf gear in the plane).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've made about 30 trips to Israel. First, it's one of my fav countries in the whole world. A loving people, stunning country, awesome food, GREAT diving, and again, just wonderful people.

It won't be the camera you have to worry about regarding security, gotta give them a bit more credit that that. Security in general is rough. And I'm not talking like here in the U.S., I'm talking every single person will get a least two agents, while leaving, that ask a million questions. All the same but both will ask differently to try to trip you up. It became very easy for me afterwards because I was working with their nation and govt.

Next, you will hear all stories about terror. It is indeed there. You don't see a fraction of it on TV here but it is there and a lot of it, so be alert. Simple, just know your surroundings at all times.

I don't know how it is now but TA was one of the safest county's I've been too.

I'm sorry, this is not really what you asked but I got a little excited for you.

Oh, make sure you get a fish dinner in Jaffa and if you can, even if you have no time make it, hit the En Getty (sp?) spa in the dead sea, pack yourself in mud and you'll feel about 30 years younger. I've got over 15 lbs on hardware in my body, the mud there could only be from a holy land.
    The LaHave factory is right there as well with TONS of discounts.
    Please send me some Mud....

Sorry, you can feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.
    Enjoy, your in for one wonderful trip.
    Tom

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just to add a bit more: I carry what I will need to shoot that I will not find if my luggage get lost. I assume I can buy a tripod anywhere.
    So I will carry the camera, lens, film, meter, holders. Also, one thing to know is that if not everything fits in your bag, you can always use a plastic bag as plastic bags dont count as hand piece, believe it or not, this is true.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by calceman View Post
    you can always use a plastic bag as plastic bags dont count as hand piece, believe it or not, this is true.
    That really depends on the carrier. IF you fly Ryanair, if it isn't in your pockets or a single case/bag it gets counted as an extra bag. Even the duty free bags. As a consequence, you will get charged for extra bags.

My response is a tactical waistcoat - Plenty big enough for lenses, changing bag, a dozen 5x4 film holders, film and assorted "stuff"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ryan does not fly to Israel yet. I bet they would fit passenger seats in place of the overhead compartments if they could.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you ,

Yes Tom I can't wait myself 4 and half weeks , I am counting days , this my first , but the guy I am going with has been going since 1967 , twice or three times a year and we have some people there that will go with me when I go out to shoot film ...we are renting a car , staying for 5 days in Tel Aviv , 5 days in Jerusalem, 5 days in Haifa ...pretty much covering the country by car , I shipped 300 sheets of 8x10 FP4
    Yes, I can't wait to lay my eyes on the desert , may be I will ship the tripod as well then ...

Thanks guys ,

Ilya
    Last edited by ilya1963; 12-04-2009 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have been to Israel several times. Wonderful country, great people, fantastic food and coffee that is like no other.

The immediate problem that i see in your plan is the Tripod. You may or may not be able to carry it on your flight from the USA to Israel but, I can almost guarantee that they will NOT allow you to carry it on the flight leaving Israel. I would not even try as the hassle will be extraordinary. Your camera and lenses will invite many, many questions but not nearly so many as anything with wires....leave your iPod, cell phone, and all other personal electronics at home.

You should also be aware that they take their security VERY seriously there. You can expect that you and your bag will get searched at the entrance to any store. They will ask you point blank if you have a gun. Be Direct!

The place is really nothing like the news media here in the states portrays it. It really is a wonderful place. Have fun!...and try to relax. oh...and, do try to get to Old Jerusalem - especially on a Saturday if possible.

I wish I were going...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin