Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,930   Online: 833

Shooter
    35mm

adapting Busch Pressman "D" to Graflok

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has successfully adapted a Graflok back to a Busch Pressman D.

My only reason to want to do this is that I am frustrated that rollfilm backs and the Polaroid 550 do not quite fit under the spring back, and I don't think it is possible to lengthen the slots in the spring arms to allow for this additional few millimeters of extension.

Thanks,
    t

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, but I have done it with a Busch Pressman "C".
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Unless you have some special love for the Model D (and the View Focus RF perhaps) it could prove more effort than it's worth. If such conversion means giving up the V-H rotating back, I'd consider that a bad trade-off. Especially since nice Super Graphics are going for cheap these days and all have rotating Grafloks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I did it last year. And I am not the first to do it. It was a rather time consuming job with hand tools and a drill press.
    I rarely shoot verticals but added a tripod mounting plate to the side and changed out the hand strap with the brackets and strap from a Graflex.

Actually, I may tend to second the suggestion of a nice Super Graphic. It has the addtional advantage of cams for different lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to try the "jury-rig" alternative of adding a few washers under the central spring attachment screws on the existing back. I have found that the spring back on the speed could be made to fit a thicker holder (405, etc) by this means without any noticeable problem using standard holders. Perhaps the Busch back would work the same way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    You might want to try the "jury-rig" alternative of adding a few washers under the central spring attachment screws on the existing back. I have found that the spring back on the speed could be made to fit a thicker holder (405, etc) by this means without any noticeable problem using standard holders. Perhaps the Busch back would work the same way.
    Your are correct, I changed out the screws so I could adjust them on the fly but eventually decided to change the back partly because I found one for next to nothing in the same size but different brand; a Graflex to a Busch. I was luck that they matched, well actually I had to switch the plates. I put the Graflex hardware on the Busch base plate. It works and looks great, like it came that way.

The only drawback is the weight with the new back is more than the stock Busch back. The benefit is I can use my Grafmatics, four of them, and all of my roll film holders and of course my twenty new film holders.

It makes for a nice system, I don't use it much though as I need larger negatives for alt. photo.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin