Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,260   Online: 985

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Why did my son make THAT camera movement?

Ok,

I bought my 21 year old son a 4x5 monorail, lens/lensboard, tripod, film holders, and 50 sheets of Tri-X. He has access to my library of photography related books including several dedicated to large format photography. He even read a couple of them.

His first day of shooting, he invited me along. I watched as he made these torturous and entirely unnecessary camera movements where his subject required almost no movements. I'd look at his ground glass and bite my toungue rather than point out that if he just backed off on the rear swing, moderated the front rise... etc, he'd have a tack sharp image.

Yes, he recognizes that the images he made are "twisted". He likes that. Imagine a cone shaped building whose image on a 4x5 negative is mostly out of focus except for a narrow horizontal band in the middle that is tack sharp. I've held my opinion in, knowing he is exploring his own vision.

At what point should I step in and gently direct him to the "right" way to use a LF camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't see nothing wrong with what he's done. I've had great fun in the past making very high-resolution low-res (yikes!) images via really crazy movements. Give him some lessons on how to makes everything square on the frame & tack sharp so that he knows how to do it if images warrants it, but I wouldn't push him to only use it that way. The LOMO way of thinking is strong in our generation.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    At what point should I step in and gently direct him to the "right" way to use a LF camera?
    At no point! He is exploring and must be left to do it at his own pace. Almost everybody who ever owned a view camera went through this phase. Let him find his own way through it. As long as he understands the limitations of the image circle and knows how to correct meter readings for bellows factor and movements, what's the harm...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He's 21. He's an adult. Let him find his own way - even if you bite your tongue to hash. Be ready to answer questions, if asked, otherwise - butt out. In 10 years or so, he'll be much closer to admitting there might be things to be learned from you. (the parent of 3 - ages 27 to 32)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like his pix are pretty cool; better than most. I would leave well enough alone and let him do his thing. He has the books. He will learn traditional methods if he wants to. Don't ruin his interesting work by making it more standard. That would be a crime.

Key sentence: "He likes that."

That is the whole point! Period.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is no right way... there is HIS way and there is YOUR way. Two different visions/ two different individuals.

I am rather envious that you have a child taking up photography. Not one of my 4 shows any interest whatsoever!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Never, Never, Never take the initiative here.

Answer his questions succinctly, don't expand on the answers, let him enjoy it his way.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sounds like he is having fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And.. at his age he could easily be involved in some other things you would rather he wasn't.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    And.. at his age he could easily be involved in some other things you would rather he wasn't.
    Like a 1D Mark IV? 0_o
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin