Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,133   Online: 1148

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Beginning to assemble a new field kit

Hello,

I am trying to get a usable field/technical camera kit together.

I have much in the way of large format equipment...but most of it is dedicated Sinar DB stuff, or 2x3/3x4 press camera stuff, or barrel lenses, and need to make steps in the area of a kit to be used for hiking and camping trips. I need smallish lenses in shutters that will mount to a Linhof III board.

Ideally, what I want are a few lenses that I can put onto Linhof Technika III boards. I need lenses that were designed for monorail cameras, not press cameras, as I often use quite a bit of shift in the "field". I want to be able to utilize all the movement the Tech III has got without issue.

I would like a wide: 80 - 110 mm. Movements are severely limited with wides on the Tech III. (I have just under 2 cm vertical shift before the unhooked bellows hits the inside of the body. A 1 cm recessed board would give me an extra cm of shift, and a 2 cm recessed board would give me about 1/2 cm more, PLUS let me make full use of my lateral shifts), so something I could squeeze into a deeply recessed lens board would be GREAT! I am not concerned about lens speed; just coverage and ability to get onto a deep lens board. It's ok if it is a bit longer than your typical wide lens for 4x5. I am not a fanatic for super wides for landscape pix. I would be fine with a 105 or 110, and these will help a bit with the movement issue.

I would like a normal to medium-long lens: 180 - 240 mm. A convertible lens would be ideal. A lens that also covers 5x7 with movements would be ideal. I am thinking Fujinon-W 180mm, but I am not sure if I can get it onto a Linhof III board.

I would like a long lens as well. The longer the better. Perhaps a graphic arts lens of some sort, to keep the size and weight down, though that would nix a tele design, which I need for the Linhof's bellows. I need one that is in a shutter and will fit a Linhof board. 600mm or so would be ideal.

I have a 360mm Tele-Xenar, but I am unsure as to its usable image circle. I assume that it is not great, given that it is a telephoto design made for hand-held use. Graflex dot org lists the image circle as 230mm in this list: http://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html. My lens is a 1954 model, so I am not sure if the 360mm f/5.5 tele-xenar listed at the Graflex site is the same one. If it is, 230mm is enough for me on a long lens (though I would like it if the lens was longer).

If you have any suggestions, or a line on anything, please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have the following that I might consider selling or trading:

Sinar DBM 240mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W
    Sinar DB 240mm Schneider Symmar (would rather sell/trade this one, as I like the DBM controls on the Nikkor)
    Schneider Tele-Xenar 180mm f/5.5, Linhof badged (2x3 lens that I always used for tabletop macro on 4x5)
    Wollensak Raptar 90mm f/6.8 (nice lens...not enough movement, and I already have two Schneider Angulon 90mm 6.8s that came with my two Linhof kits)
    Kodak Copying Ektanon 21-1/4 in f/11 barrel lens (not too keen on getting rid of this one, but I got rid of my 8x10, so I don't currently have a camera with a bellows long enough to use it!)
    Old meniscus lens purchased from Jim Galli (great lens...pretty long lens...won't even focus on infinity on my Kodak No. 2 5x7 with bellows fully extended...again, useless to me at the current time because of my lack of bellows)

Thoughts so far, based on the Graflex specs page:

Wides:

Fujinon-SW 105mm f/8 (250mm circle)
    Rodenstock Grandagon 115mm f/6.8 (291mm circle)
    Schneider 90mm f/8 Super Angulon (215mm circle)
    Caltrar II/Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/6.8 (221mm circle)

Normal (also usable on 5x7 wooden field camera with movements, and hopefully on Sinar P 5x7):

Fujinon W 180mm f/5.6 (305mm circle)
    Fujinon W 210mm f/5.6 (352mm circle)

Long:

???
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-06-2009 at 09:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to get a usable field/technical camera kit together.
    Ideally, what I want are a few lenses that I can put onto Linhof Technika III boards. I need lenses that were designed for monorail cameras, not press cameras, as I often use quite a bit of shift in the "field". I want to be able to utilize all the movement the Tech III has got without issue.

I would like a long lens as well. The longer the better. Perhaps a graphic arts lens of some sort, to keep the size and weight down, though that would nix a tele design, which I need for the Linhof's bellows. I need one that is in a shutter and will fit a Linhof board. 600mm or so would be ideal.
    If you have any suggestions, or a line on anything, please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have the following that I might consider selling or trading:

Kodak Copying Ektanon 21-1/4 in f/11 barrel lens (not too keen on getting rid of this one, but I got rid of my 8x10, so I don't currently have a camera with a bellows long enough to use it!)
    Old meniscus lens purchased from Jim Galli (great lens...pretty long lens...won't even focus on infinity on my Kodak No. 2 5x7 with bellows fully extended...again, useless to me at the current time because of my lack of bellows)

Long:

???
    I don't know what your current camera's maximum bellows extension is, but if you can't use that Kodak Ektanon 21 1/4 in. lens on it, then you can't use a 600 mm (24 in.) on it. You might want to re-think your long lens options based on what your maximum bellows extension is.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    for a convertible lens
    you might consider a 210/370 schneider symmar ..
    not sure if you have enough bellows to use the 370 part of it
    unless you have the 5x7 camera or your 4x5 has a long bellows.

as for tele lenses the tele optars are very good and have huge image circles.
    the 10" and 15" both can be found in shutters ... and since they are tele design
    they don't require long bellows ( can both be used on a speed / crown graphic )

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    I don't know what your current camera's maximum bellows extension is, but if you can't use that Kodak Ektanon 21 1/4 in. lens on it, then you can't use a 600 mm (24 in.) on it. You might want to re-think your long lens options based on what your maximum bellows extension is.
    Hello,

Thanks. I mentioned the draw of the Linhof requiring a Tele lens. Will even a tele 600 require more bellows than a Tech III has?

"Perhaps a graphic arts lens of some sort, to keep the size and weight down, though that would nix a tele design, which I need for the Linhof's bellows."
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

A 14" APO Artar is my long lens for 5x7. It has plenty of wiggle room (mine covers 8x10) as does a Wollensak f/9.5 Wide Angle.The 215mm Ilex is also mighty fine on a 5x7. Niether of these are large lenses, nor are they particulalry expensive and all can be found single coated. The 203 Ektar is also a very fine piece of vintage glass but it just covers 5x7, so it sees more service on my Speed Graphic and GV II.

My 5.5 tele-Xenar 360mm throws an image circle large enough for 5x7" and needs only 8 or 9 inches of bellows draw. It's big but fairly light even though mounted in a Copal 3 shutter. It is an early '80s model. Good, sharp lens.

When I pack light, I usually carry a 90mm Super Angulon, and a150mm and a 210mm Symmar-S. Plenty of movement all around on 4x5. I find I rarely need a longer lens, and those three are heavy enough. I own a 120 Super Angulon, and almost never use it. Heavy, bulky, and a focal length that's neither here nor there. You undoubtedly can shave a few ounces here and there with older, smaller, or process lenses. Depends on what you really want to do. Packing with a Linhof in the field is a bit of a chore to start with.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips.

I think I am going to use my 360. Instead of looking for a longer tele lens that will work on the Linhof, I will bring a roll film back.

For the normal lens, I am probably going to pick up a 210 or 150 convertible. I do not need extreme movements on the 5x7; just enough to allow me to use my Kodak No. 2 to its fullest extent if needed. I am interested in learning what lenses are convertible, and what lenses are not. I know Schneider Symmars are, and some Rodenstock ones are as well...but which Rodenstock ones, I do not know. Any Fujinons or Nikkors that are convertible? If the Fujinon W 180mm f/5.6 was convertible, it would be PERFECT...however, I assume that the "W" stands for "wide", in which case it does not sound like a convertible lens. Hopefully I am wrong about that. Too much to know about LF lenses.....I don't know if I will ever be able to absorb it all.

Still kind of stuck on the wide. I think I may as well go with a 90, as they are plentiful and cheap. Though I hate to waste negative, I can crop a bit to tighten the angle of view.

I am still interested in finding out more about the Fujinon SW 105mm f/8, however. I would like to see one in person, or a photo. Is it a large lens?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-10-2009 at 01:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin