Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,644   Posts: 1,668,499   Online: 760

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The reason I asked is I am currently repairing my own shutter on the same camera.
    the difference with mine is that I have both curtains but the tapes have broken.
    i have found as close as I can get to the tapes to replace them and will be gluing, sewing, praying very soon.

the major task I had yesterday was removing the bottom of the camera box to get at the rollers.

i really want to take a picture with this camera. I plan to cut down some 5x4 film to fit it.

when it's rebuilt that is.

still a way off yet.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you get the tension correct on the tape roller please?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What format is your Ensign. I have film & plate holders for mine which is Quarter plate although it came with a Rollex 6x9 back, I also found a box of new quarter plate film sheaths plus two more and 4 conversion film sheaths in a 9x12 box. Film is available on the Ilford ULF run and also from Wephoto (much cheaper).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is a quarter plate.

I have a plate holder, the next problem will be getting film of some description sorted out.

if I can sort these tapes out.
    Last edited by Guppstah; 03-30-2013 at 03:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ensign Popular Reflex (Currently under maintenance)
    Sinar 5x4
    Rolleiflex x 3
    Nikon EM 35mm
    Nikon D700 Digital
    Nikon D300s Digital
    Fuji X10 Digital.

All in regular use.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Repair info for Houghton Reflex

Hi,

I know it is an old thread...

I successfully repaired a couple of Houghton Ensign reflex 3x4 cameras (replacing shutter curtains with new fabric). I did that all by myself (not much info on these cameras/shutter types on the web).
    The repairs took me months, with lots of thinking between actions...
    And now I 'd like to repair a Houghton Model B Ensign Reflex 2x3 (I bought it for the lens (Goerz Celor 180mm f4.8)).

The tension adjustment of the rollers is always my nightmare. So many tries... If someone has a procedure, I'd be most grateful...
    (the links in the former posts are dead)

Also, I noticed differences between the 3 cameras :
    On one camera, the bottom curtain roller had the fabric simply wrapped one way around and glued. On the 2 others, the glued part of the fabric was split (vertically) into 5 bands and those bands were wrapped alternatively (CW/CCW) around the roller. I suppose the 2nd option was to secure more strongly the fabric on the roller.
    One one camera, the bottom curtain was wider and was placed underneath the ribbons. On the others, the bottom curtain was between the ribbons.

I also repaired a Butcher Popular Pressman (3x4 reflex) but the shutter is different (fixed size slits, like on a Speed Graphic).

I upgraded all 3x4 to 4x5, as it is easier to find film. The result is a 4x4.5 negative...

Thanks in advance,
    Kam

Quote Originally Posted by Guppstah View Post
    Mine is a quarter plate.

I have a plate holder, the next problem will be getting film of some description sorted out.

if I can sort these tapes out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin