Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,724   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ensign "Popular Reflex" Repair

Hello everyone.
    A few months ago I bought this fabulous "ENSIGN Popular Reflex" (1920?)
    It is in excellent cosmetic shape, but inside it has some problems.
    A curtain is missing, but in general appears to have a future.
    The rollers have tension if I roll up.
    But the problem is I can not deduct how the curtains sewn each other whit the cloth tape, and how long the tape should be…
    I'm not a camera repairman, I'm just an amateur with a nice camera that I would like to work ... I had success repairing a “Reflex Korelle”, and I thought, why not with the old ensign. (Should be easier, but in the korelle there was no missing parts)
    So any help is welcome, drawings, diagrams, sketches, anything!
    Best Regards.
    Luciano from Argentina.

PD: I Upload some images to those who wants to help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG

Somewhere I've posted a link to repairing shutters like this. My laptop died 2 weeks ago and I'm not straight yet but I have saved not only the links but the pages as well (from a partial PDF - not savable/downloadable).

It's relatively easy to make a new curtain there's patterns in the book, not sure if it covers the Houghton sgutters, it should.

These shutters work in two ways:

1. A single curtain made up of a number of slits, you wind the right bit into position. Graflex's etc

2. A pair of curtains so more complex. Moving seperately like modern cloth SLR shutters.

It could be yours is the first and has just come unglued/sewn. I've rebuilt a Graflex and also a Thrnton Pickard shutter neither was difficult. I'll see what I can find tomorrow, it's late here now

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ian!!!
    Great news, but this one have 2 curtains, the first (the missing one) it´s no missing, i have it, but super dry and cracky, so i have to replace this one, i´ll try to male my own curtain... for this also you can help me =)
    But the point is, this camera has 2 curtains. =(
    Thanks again!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok,the book says how to make new curtains. I'll look tomorrow, you can read all you need online for shutter repairs of this type, and if you have the old curtain that acts as your pattern. I can't remember the Author or I'd find the link easily

My Thornton Pickard shutter was dry andvery cracked and dead so I used Methylated spirits to remove the old shellac or whatever it was coated with then ironed the curtains flat before using dilute Black PVA fabric paint to re-lightproof the curtain, it's very flexible, I did the same for my Speed Graphic which had a lot of pin-holes.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Luciano, i've found the link, unfortunately the part on shutters is no-longer available online.

Send me your email address and I'll let you have a copy of the relevant section as soon as I find the images.

This link is useful, I found it after I'd repaired both my shutters.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 12-08-2009 at 07:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ian!
    Thanks a lot for your help!!
    The good news is that maybe you are right with the shutter, maybe it is a Thornton Pickard Shutter, i don´t know.. it does have 3 rollers, so not very sure.
    The bad news, is that the one curtain left, is so dry and cracky that i need to replace this one too. Still looking for some sort of fabric replacement.
    I send you a private massage with my email.
    Best Regards!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, I know this post is very old, but did you sort out your shutter?

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since the thread started I've ben making shutter curtains for cameras like this, in fact I have two Ensigns (one rebadged as a Dallmeyer Press) waiting for repair.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ian!
    Yes! the camera works! I finally can repair it!
    Is not so hard, the secret for mi camera is that the two curtains move under the same tape, and when you set the exposure what your doing is to make a gap between the two curtains. Different speeds = differents gaps.
    Send me your email and i will send you a video of how its works, my bad english is not so good for explications!
    Best regards!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You have to set the exposure BEFORE you wind the camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin