Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 695

Shooter
    8x10 Format

polaroid back for 8x10

does this exist, and if so, where can i get polaroid 8x10 film? bw or color. thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes it exists.

Here is a video on how it is processed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTnCSdI_yt0

It is a major pain in the a** because the film requires a separate processor.

And btw, the film has been discontinued for a while....so the only way to buy the stuff is on ebay (for crazy prices!).

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know that Polaroid is out of business, right? And that Polaroid film has a limited shelf life, not all that long?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have but three sheets of 803 left
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format

polaroid 8x10

The 8x10 uses a film holder for the negative, much like a regular holder. The holder is then inserted into the processor. There are a number of styles. I use the calumet portable units. The are compact, light and no power required. I have also owned the electric table top models ( I prefer the ones that do not require the loading tray).
    The impossible project people ( Harmon is now involved as well) purchased the 8x10 machinery this year and plan to have 8x10 back on the market in 2010.
    Good news since I only have one full case left from the last 809 run.

The processors and holders are dirt cheap on ebay right now. It is the time to buy. Prices will radically increase once the film is released. Here is a link to the press release in the British Journal of Photography.

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=867790

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    The 8x10 uses a film holder for the negative, much like a regular holder. The holder is then inserted into the processor. There are a number of styles. I use the calumet portable units. The are compact, light and no power required. I have also owned the electric table top models ( I prefer the ones that do not require the loading tray).
    The impossible project people ( Harmon is now involved as well) purchased the 8x10 machinery this year and plan to have 8x10 back on the market in 2010.
    Good news since I only have one full case left from the last 809 run.

The processors and holders are dirt cheap on ebay right now. It is the time to buy. Prices will radically increase once the film is released. Here is a link to the press release in the British Journal of Photography.

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=867790

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't watch that video, but I assume Alex mixed up 8x10 Polaroid film holder with a 8x10 Polaroid back.
    The latter never existed to my knowledge as commercial item.

But Polaroid had a seemingly made from scrap, motorized 8x10 back for their peel-apart film attached to a field-camera which Land used for his first show of his instant film in february 1947.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The once-fairly-common Polaroid 8x10 film was used in a Polaroid 8x10 film holder that was used with ANY 8x10 format camera just like a conventional film holder. It was dimensioned to fit the standard 8x10 back. The processing was done outside the camera in a tabletop processor which you inserted the film-holder into after removing it from the camera after making the exposure.

I believe the special 20x24 Polaroid camera used for those Ultra-large images has an attached processor, but this is a custom designed camera from the ground up.

You cannot get FRESH Polaroid 8x10 film as it hasn't been manufactured in the last few years. No Polaroid film is being manufactured by Polaroid. Polaroid has scrapped or sold off all their film manufacturing equipment. Petters Group (Owner of the Polaroid name) is just interested in licensing the name to makers of cheap light bulbs and such.

Shooter
    Large Format
    an example of Polaroid 8X10 holder that is currently available on epray
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin