Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,495   Online: 988

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What is this piece of wreckage?

Here's what I can tell you: The ground glass is full plate size. At one time, the front extension was gear driven.

Can anyone tell me more about this? What's supposed to go under that weirdly hinged GG panel? Why does the rear frame have those thumbscrews?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6225.JPG   IMG_6224.jpg   IMG_6223.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    mahogany?
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As in, wouldn't that mahogany make nice wood for another project? Yes, I think it is mahogany, but many cameras of late 19th, early 20th century construction were. Construction isn't as nice as some of the other cameras I've seen - joinery is simple lap joints with screws or perhaps dowels and glue.

I'd guess that it was designed for use with a non standard "book type" film holder. To restore it would probably take a lot more work than it would be worth, but there looks like there is enough pieces to make a useful camera out of it if (if you're either creative or crazy enough to want to give it a try!)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    non standard "book type" film holder.
    I thought those were for wet plate, but obviously, this camera wasn't used for wet process. Would that put it somewhere into the wet plate to dry plate transition period in terms of age?

I'm not crazy enough to try making anything out of it - bellows are shot for one thing and there's no front standard.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you repaired the bellows issue (perhaps painting the inside with that liquid electrical tape) it could make a fine pin hole camera...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin