Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,383   Online: 725

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

difference between cambo master and sinar p2

Hi,

is there someone who is using a sinar p2 that used a cambo legend/master before?

I am very interested in the differences between them.

Especially in the movement knobs. Are these on the sinar smoother/better then on the cambo?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only know the Cambo from pictures so I can't say something about the handliing.
    But the main reason for me to take a Sinar always bevor a Cambo is the compatibility from almost all Sinar gear.
    So I can use my cheap F1 as an extention on my P for long lenses or macro extensions or I can use it as a luxus lensshade etc.

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The situation with the availability of Cambo parts and accessories may be different in The Netherlands, but there's so much Sinar stuff out there second hand that as with Armin, Sinar makes the most sense for me as a studio camera. I haven't needed to rent LF lenses, but lenses are most available for rental on Sinar lensboards in many major cities.

I would think that the main functional attractions, availability of parts aside, of a Sinar P/P2 over a Cambo would be the asymmetric movements and DOF calculator. The rear tilt and swing axes on a Sinar P are marked on the groundglass, so you can quickly and easily find the focal plane and measure the tilt and swing angles on the rear standard and use the scales to transfer those movements to the front standard as desired. Of course it is possible to work without these gizmos, but they can be time savers when you need to work quickly or if you have a complicated tabletop setup.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format

cambo vs. sinar

I have a Cambo Master but I'm currently using a Sinar for most things (not a P2 though). The Master is OK but is not as rigid as you might expect from the weight of it.
    Mine is far from new and the locking rings for the geared movements have to be tightened harder than is comfortable.
    It's not that hard to strip the gears either.
    The controls are well placed and I prefer the tripod mount and the rail to Sinar's, and the fact that the standards stay above the level of the rail.
    It does actually have a dof calculator on the focus knob and also tilt/swing guides on the grid screen.
    If I was starting from scratch and money was no object I would pick the P2 every time though - for the build quality and for the reasons already offered by other contributors.

Happy holidays!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin