Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,407   Online: 760

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Does anyone backpack with a 12x20 outfit (camera, 2-4 holders, lenses, etc.)? What backpacks do you recommend? Many thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Francesco,

I only have an 8x20, but would never think of backpacking it. The camera itself weights 23 pounds. That's why I bought a Jeep. There are very few places I can think I might want to shoot that the Jeep can't get me there.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    George,

Unfortunately there are a lot of places here in Stockholm which city hall has prohibited cars from entering. In addition, because it is an archipelago of several thousand islands the only access is by ferry and then by foot. I backpack very often with my 8x10 gear (camera, lenses (3), holders (12), accessories etc.), sometimes hiking for 2 hours before setting the stuff down. I am hoping that there is a backpack out there that would accomodate say a Wisner 12x20, 4 holders, one lens. Perhaps this would not weigh much more than what I have been using up to this point. Stockholm and its surroundings are best explored on foot.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it really is too heavy to backpack comfortably this possibilty is worth looking at, http://www.sherpacart.com/
    All depends on whether a small wheeled cart can go there.
    From what you describe the weight may be pretty near equal, just the bulk is arranged differently needing a different style backpack.
    You might try some of the local tailors or shoe repairmen about stitching a custom pack modelled after your 8x10 pack.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made a similar cart from an old pull-style golf cart. The wheels are large enough to go over fairly rough terrain - the tripod fits perfectly in the place the golf bag originally fit. I rigged a basket at the bottom to hold the camera -wrap it in my dark cloth and bungee cord it securely down. Meter, film holders, lenses, etc all go in a backpack.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i'm in the process of building my own back-pack for a monorail camera that's too big to fit into any backpack i've seen so far; or that i could afford to buy even if i did find one large enough. so...i bought an external frame backpack with removable pack, and will use the frame to attach a plywood and fabric box i will build. if it works out, i'll be delighted. i'll post a pic when the results are in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Francesco, my personal solution would be a conventional aluminum backpack frame with a custom made waterproof nylon bag attached.

The bag attachment "footprint" on my personal backpacking frame is 24 inches long by 16 inches wide. I would imagine that a 2 compartment bag (with cinch straps for the camera body compartment) and a second zipper or velcro closure compartment for film holders; plus side pockets for lenses, etc., would do the trick. The camera compartment could be foam padded, as needed.

Of course, I own a couple of really serious sewing machines and I've done this sort of thing before, so it's easy for me to talk.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Very impressive Tom. There is a backpack here in Sweden that seems impressive and I was wondering if anyone had used something similar in dimensions. It is 10.2 inches deep, 33.85 inches high and 14.17 inches wide. Volume capacity is about 90 liters.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Francesco. I have made and carried frameless (semi-rigid) canoe packs of even larger dimensions (with built in hip belt and shoulder harness).

A pack bag like you describe (it could be about 2 inches wider and several inches deeper) should fit on my mountaineering pack frames. The trick is to get the center of mass as low on your back and as close to your body as possible.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Although not available 'yet', I am dying for these to be released and then come down in price affordable to the public one day. They claim carrying 170 pounds feels like carrying only 5 pounds! Imagine, hiking with this puppy and all your 12x20 gear, tent, food, water! Piece of cake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin