Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,321   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Mind that some of the deals on wooden 5x7 holders really are too good to be true, and you get plate holders with no film inserts.
    ---HMMM inteesting--- one of them must be just that... but has removable film inserts with it: on the back they say, "kodak professional film sheath" The holder is stamped with a patent of 1927---so If I wanted to make glass plates, this is what I would want, huh? Never saw one of these before.
    A couple of the others were a little cracked up---had to apply the super glue treatment and some marine tex epoxy to one of them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nutter View Post
    ---HMMM inteesting--- one of them must be just that... but has removable film inserts with it: on the back they say, "kodak professional film sheath" The holder is stamped with a patent of 1927---so If I wanted to make glass plates, this is what I would want, huh? Never saw one of these before.
    I have several of these in 4x5. When film came out they made sheaths that would hold the film that could then be inserted into plate holders. The sheaths look a little like grafmatic septums. So, this is what you want if you want to make glass plates. I had an old box of Kodak Tri-X (ortho I think) glass plates years ago and gave them a try but they were very fogged and I tossed them. But they worked fine in the holders.

Hank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i bought a lot of 8x10 holders for cheap described as being stored damp hasnt affected the wood but the aluminium parts were covered in oxide which was worse inside were the light seal seats there were 2 consequences first the rivets that held the aluminium strip at the top of the holder popped as soon as i put any pressure on the strip and secondly as previously noted the light seals were heavily contaminated with Al oxide my fix was to pop all the rivets out most just fell out but i did have to drill out a couple and then replaced them with brass wood screws and throughly clean the seals and scrub the inside of the aluminium strip with a stainless steel brush (cause it doesnt leave fragments of bristle to rust)
    brush

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin