Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,730   Online: 1237

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Numbering film holders and recording exposure.

Hi Guys-
    I am very new to LF suff so I have a couple of questions. Is there a standardized way to number film holders or should I just go with what works for me? Should each side of the 4X5 film holder have its own number or should each holder have a number and one side is (for expample) 1A and the other side 1B? Also is there a little exposure/notebook or a printout online set up for photgraphy or is it also best to make my own. Thanks
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't really help with the numbering, but there is this to keep track of exposures. Haven't used it myself but I imagine it would be pretty useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Standardized: NO its a personal preference thing

I number each holder as #with an A or B behind it, so I know which side is which. (12a/12b)

get a small notebook from the dollar store, a pencil or two(mechanical are my preference). Write the exposure info you want to remember, recommended Dev(+/-/N) on a piece of tape on the holder, so you can keep track of them without having to refer to your little book all the time.

I got a small notepad at the 99c store that I record what I shot, exposure data, time of day, direction the camera is pointing(small 1/2" compass superglued to the top of my spot meter), lens used, filter(if any used), and bellows extension(if I have the time)(I got a small 3ft sewing tape at Joann Fabrics for $1)

but I'm kind of weird like that, so ya

-Dan

I use those little round colored adhesive labels from Sanford.
    Each side gets a number.
    Then I ignore it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I use my baby graphic, I'll always stick a fat piece of white gaffers tape on the darkslide once the film has been exposed. On the piece of tape I'll record any info that is needed. Also, this method stops me from ever re-exposing the same pice of film. Once I'm in the "darkroom" I peel the tape (gaffers tape is made to never leave a residue - some manufactures even have a guarantee backed be a warranty!) and stick it smack down on the table next to the sink so I can develop accordingly.

Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar question not long ago, but went one step further wanting to ID a particular negative back to the holder. This is a thread that described my solution, or the one I used, notches in the holders and a notebook.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...c-holders.html
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well I already took care of the exposed film problem because one side of the slide is silver one black....but I couldn't resist this tape!
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Film_Tape.html It acually also says only open in darkroom on it too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post

...get a small notebook from the dollar store, a pencil or two(mechanical are my preference). Write the exposure info you want to remember, recommended Dev(+/-/N) on a piece of tape on the holder, so you can keep track of them without having to refer to your little book all the time.

I got a small notepad at the 99c store that I record what I shot, exposure data....

but I'm kind of weird like that, so ya

-Dan
    I have 26 holders, but I never use more than a few at a time. They've all been tested, so I keep them clean and rotate them in and out of service. Each one has a letter or number identifying it. I ignore these too.

Field data is important. I double-record my data in a dollar store flip notebood and on a sticker on each holder. When I process my film, I transfer the stickers into my developing log. I'd be tempted to transfer them into my print log as well, but I had my printing book laid out long before I started LF, and I like the way it works. Nonetheless, there is a clear written record of the entire process from exposure through printing and toning.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I just decided to number them and I used a 1A on one side 1B on the other and so one.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Well I just decided to number them and I used a 1A on one side 1B on the other and so one.....
    I number on side "1", the other side "2". Next holder "3" and "4", on so on. That number goes with exposure info in my notebook.
    Michael

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin