Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,655   Online: 844

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format

How do field cameras fold shut?

I'm in the design phase of building my own 8x10 field camera. I'm basing the design off of the plans by James Vail. The only thing I don't understand is how this design of camera folds shut, as the diagonal brass struts that hold the front are in front of the standard. I can understand how the cameras with these struts behind the standard fold shut, but I can't understand how it would work with the struts in front of the standard.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The front generally folds to the back then the back folds to the front on top of the front standard The front standard swivels to face down, there are various methods for disengaging the standard to allow this.
    Last edited by glbeas; 01-05-2010 at 08:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carefully.

Go see a Deardorff and you'll understand. The standard folds back, the front board rotates top to the front, the back fold down on top of it.

Done.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry if my question wasn't very clear. I understand the mechanism of the camera itself closing, but the thing I don't get is the method of disengaging the front standard when the diagonal support struts are in front of the standard, angled back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are thinking about building one yourself, have a look here: http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/
    and look through the 'Workshop' section. You should be able to work out how it folds up from his drawing.

If not, print his drawing out and cut out all the bits from paper and pin them together to make a working 2D model. I had to do this myself when I was considering the same question.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3e8 View Post
    Sorry if my question wasn't very clear. I understand the mechanism of the camera itself closing, but the thing I don't get is the method of disengaging the front standard when the diagonal support struts are in front of the standard, angled back.
    Sorry,

The Deardorff has the angle struts from the back of the front standard (If I am picturing this correctly)..

tim
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also, have a look at some of the pictures here: http://www.sandehalynch.com/large_format.htm

From those, you should be able to work out the folding up sequence.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's one variation, although not self-built:

http://belaj.com/unsorted/my8by10/?pict=01#01

Another, but self-made:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200503060...ail/camera.htm
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Search my video on youtube.com "using a wooden field camera." It shows how.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The front standard is released and pushed all the way back, and is then folded forward. The only example that comes in mind right now is Wista DX45.

Gr.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin