Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,551   Posts: 1,544,889   Online: 934

Thread: Stiff Darkslide

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Stiff Darkslide

Hey there, I have a 4x5 holder that has a darkslide which seems to have more friction than any other I've ever used. After putting the slide in, sometimes it's coated with dust. I guess that by poking a shop-vac at it and running something wet through on the darkslide would clean it off. The question remains, what is a light-baffle safe lubricant for the darkslide? I don't want to destroy the felt... Any film holder cleaning tips?

Thanks,
    Eric Smith
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quit talking dirty and get back to work!! And if you used it more often you wouldn't have that dust issue. Proper lubricant to preserve the felt?? Gee whizz man... you're on the wrong forum for this nasty talk!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A little bit of furniture polish on the darkslide (wipe on, wipe as much as you can off.) Don't mess with the felt light trap other than working a darkslide thru it and blowing it out.

You might check to rails the darkslides slide in -- make sure they are not damaged or harboring dirt/dust.

Dust off the darkslides before pulling them out of the holder this will reduce to amount of dust getting into the light trap.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 01-07-2010 at 03:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Silicone spray lubricant. I've never used it on my photo equipment, but I use it for other applications at work. Non greasy, doesn't attract dust and dirt and very slippery. Use it sparingly and don't overspray. For a darkslide I'd apply it with a cloth and just put it where you need it. Auto supply and parts stores carry it.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Furniture paste wax works well too, more or less the same solution as the furniture polish, just in solid form rather than liquid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Quit talking dirty and get back to work!! And if you used it more often you wouldn't have that dust issue. Proper lubricant to preserve the felt?? Gee whizz man... you're on the wrong forum for this nasty talk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ON View Post
    Silicone spray lubricant. I've never used it on my photo equipment, but I use it for other applications at work. Non greasy, doesn't attract dust and dirt and very slippery. Use it sparingly and don't overspray. For a darkslide I'd apply it with a cloth and just put it where you need it. Auto supply and parts stores carry it.

Dave
    K. I think I got some of that around.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both men and women agree that stiffies are a good thing.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Both men and women agree that stiffies are a good thing.
    Yes but stiffies do sometimes require lubrication to slide in and out properly. And cleanliness is a must!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin