Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,922   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Going Price for Graflex Slotted 4x5 Holders?

Happy New Year to all!

My supply of good slotted 4x5 holders for Graflex SLR is not sufficient - I would like to be able to shoot more frames without reloading. Does anyone have a sense of the current market price for them? I would like to be educated so that I can act when I see them at a fair price.

Thanks,

Jon
    Last edited by jon koss; 01-07-2010 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No, but I have at least two laying around I can sell... maybe more. BTW, going through all my stuff I located at least 5 of the slotted 4x5 Grafmatics I also need to sell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check with KEH or Pacific Rim Camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Graflex film magazines ("bag mags") hold 12 sheets which are changed with a push-pull lever. They show up regularly on the auction site and can usually be had for much cheaper than the equivalent number of film holders. The film is held in sheaths -- make sure they're all there and undamaged, also that the leather bag is still light-tight and flexible.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Okay... I dug through ALL my DDS film holders I've got and found three very nice slotted holders and just ONE Grafmatic designed for the SLR. The DDS are in good shape but will, eventually need to be re-taped (hinges). The Grafmatic is complete and working perfectly but the D-shaped pull is broken off. You can either replace it with a pull from a "parts Grafmatic" (either version are the same)... or you can just add a pull... the slide itself is perfect. The slotted 4x5 DDS are difficult enough to find but just try finding a Grafmatic for the SLR. BTW, I have well over 100 DDS and a dozen Grafmatics... and I've been accumulating this stuff for years.
    Last edited by Mike1234; 01-09-2010 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tessar View Post
    The Graflex film magazines ("bag mags") hold 12 sheets which are changed with a push-pull lever. They show up regularly on the auction site and can usually be had for much cheaper than the equivalent number of film holders. The film is held in sheaths -- make sure they're all there and undamaged, also that the leather bag is still light-tight and flexible.
    Yes!! I have a pre-anny speed with the dreaded graflex back. I love the thing. I have about a dozen or so slotted holders, and five bag mags. I usually use the bag mags. Each one holds 12 shots, so if I take a few bags loaded with different films, it makes for a pretty compact kit for 4X5. A small camera bag, and I can fit the camera, and 5 bag mags in it, so I have 60 shots available to me. The bag mags need to be cleaned inside before you use them. If they are not clean, you will get lots of dust spots on your negs.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jon... I just replied to your PM. I have the three nice slotted DDS plus the one Grafmatic that fits the SLR. If it's really important to I can rob a darkslide from one of my other Grafmatics to repair the pull on this one... but the discount goes away. Make me a fair offer?

All others who have PMed please remain patient for resolution with Jon. I feel obligated to offer these to him since I posted to his thread. If we can't reach an agreement then these are up for grabs.

Three percent to APUG as always.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi jon

regular slotted /grooved holders go for about $5 each, on Eboink or through a used dealer like pacific rim or equinox
    bagmags go for about $25 or so each depending on the shape. a good leather-smith can recreate a bag for you
    make sure you ask for a "light proof stitch" ... bagmags are great because they let you use 6holders worth of
    film with only 1 holder, BUT sometimes septi are bent or sometimes they get jammed up inside the box ( no fun )

grooved holders and bag magazines are a different size than regular film holders.
    the light trap-bump is different and the holder itself is longer and wider than what people use now as a 4x5 film holder.
    so regular grafmatic backs that would fit in an international/graflock style or spring back'd 4x5 camera WILL NOT fit into
    a graflex/grooved film holder back.

unless the seller is calling all film magazines a grafmatic be careful
    what you buy because bag mags fit and grafmatics don't ..

using a slr is the best

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I believe that the grooved 4x5 holders that fit GraFlex SLR cameras usually go for more then $5 each. Clean nice ones will bring $15, although it does seem that the value has gone down over the last couple of years. This year I bought some 3x4 ones from Pacific Rim and they were close to $20 each. FWIW

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    unless the seller is calling all film magazines a grafmatic be careful
    what you buy because bag mags fit and grafmatics don't ..
    John, there were slotted Grafmatics made especially for these cameras. They are very rare to find.

I do have two of them if anyone is interested. Email me. The OP gets first choice.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin