Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,461   Online: 878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Shutter for 12in Commercial Ektar?

I have a 12in commercial ektar that I would like to put into a shutter. I understand that these lenses (if sold with a shutter) originally came with Ilex #4 Acme Synchro shutters.

My question is, will an Ilex #4 Universal fit and work properly? What's the difference between them? Also, will other shutters fit, for instance an Alphax #4? Are there any modern shutters that would work?

I've using this lens in barrel with some nice results, but I'd really like to get the extra flexibility of a shutter. Any other ideas? My camera is a Graphic View II.

Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    OK, so I found out that the difference between Universal and Acme is self-cocking vs non self-cocking. It also seems that the sizes are the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!.. Oh and what was the question again?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "I guess, I answered it," he said sheepishly.

Sorry for the wasted post...but really, I've been searching on and off all week and didn't find this until AFTER I made my post.

Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions about other shutters besides Ilex for the 12" commercial ektar, I'd still like to learn about them.

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    First of all there are a couple of possible difficulties in putting this lens in a No. 4 Ilex shutter. One is that Kodak may have put a different thread on the lens components that were to go in to a barrel mount versus those that were to go in a No. 4 Ilex shutter. This is not uncommon in lenses that were available in either barrel or shutter mount. Secondly in many (most?) cases the Ilex shutters Kodak mounted their lenses in had a different size thread than Ilex supplied as standard. So I think it's unlikely you would be able to simply screw the components of your barrel mounted lens in to a No. 4 Ilex. Some one like SK Grimes would need to machine adapters.

The largest shutter currently available new is the No. 3 Copal. The major diameter of its lens mounting thread is 58mm. This may or may not be big enough to allow the fitting of this lens. Again someone like SK Grimes could advise.
    David

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I have a set of 12" Commercial Ektar cells (no barrel, no shutter), and an Ilex No 4 Acme Synchro. No way, no how these can be put together. The lens is bigger than the shutter opening.

I measure the Major Diameter (male threads) on the front 12" CE as 2.393" and 36 TPI (threads per inch). The 305mm Caltar that came in the shutter measures 2.340" and 40 TPI (this is what Grimes shows, also).

As David says, Kodak must have told Ilex to put a different thread on their shutters.

Charley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, Kodak did have custom made Ilex shutters with entirely different thread sizes, from standard Ilex shutters found on other brands of lenses. I have a complete set of Ektars in Shutter, and no way will these even come close to fitting standard Ilex shutters.

While you could have Grimes custom mount a barrel Ektar into a suitable shutter, the cost would exceed what you can expect to pay for a good used Ektar already in a good working shutter. (any focal length)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think your only option is to find one with trashed glass and a good shutter then swap them, or more likely, buy one in shutter and sell yours in barrel. Having a barrel lens custom mounted in shutter is almost never economical, even if you got the glass for free. A shutter will be $200 - $350, adapters about $350, and an aperture scale about $50. So $600 at a minimum and you could buy a near mint 12" Commercial Ektar for around $400 -450 at most. Even if you already have a shutter, you'd be better off financially to buy a new one in shutter and sell the old.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well, there is another option, albeit more beneficial to me than you. You can rent me the lens for a day, so I can measure it and make adapters for the my lens cells that have sat in a box, unused, for years

Charley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, everyone. This really helps! I think I'll look for one with a shutter and then sell my barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin