Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,330   Online: 959

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Would you need a center filter for this wide of a lens?
    IMHO, definitely... at least in "nearly" all compositions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So, if you take the 38mmXL and crop out the black corners, are you still wider than the 47mmXL? Thanks for sharing your findings. This is too cool.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And I thought my 65mm SA was super wide. The edges of the image must show what's behind the camera at 38mm!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pocketfulladoubles View Post
    So, if you take the 38mmXL and crop out the black corners, are you still wider than the 47mmXL? Thanks for sharing your findings. This is too cool.
    Not really... not by much anyway. But it's an interesting observation none-the-less. As another pointed out... "illuminating" is not the same as "covering". A valid point, that is. I suppose this is only useful "in a pinch" when you don't have a 47 SA XL but do have a 38 SA XL and have some sheet film but are out of roll film... or if you want a more square-ish format with the widest lens possible perspecitve. I'm only using my 38 SA XL for 6x12cm and am not shooting 4x5. I'm sure this is only useful to a few interested parties.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    And I thought my 65mm SA was super wide. The edges of the image must show what's behind the camera at 38mm!
    So true... 65mm is very wide indeed. However, if you want the widest lens that covers 4x5, then buy a 47 SA XL. The 38 SA XL comes very close to "illuminating" but doesn't quite "cover". A TINY bit lost on the corners and some softening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin