Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,124   Online: 799

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you look at this & the LFPI forum, and also Ebay, sales are slow at the moment, Christmas hits many peoples pockets hard and is always a slow time in many markets.

I've noticed some very nice items on Ebay getting no bids and they are being offered at relatively low starting prices.

Looking at what your selling the Mamiya 645 is a bargain, and the LF lenses reasonable but they are mainly XL's which are higher end and unless someone needs the extra coverage they'd tend to buy the smaller cheaper lenses of the same focal length, so it's a case of patience.

I do buy from the classifieds here and in preference to Ebay and over the last 4-5 years have bought a number of cameras, lenses, meters etc, and been very pleased with my purchases.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the input. I can certainly understand that folks are looking for a bargain on a lot of items. I myself would rather buy a solid user lens or camera than spend a bunch on something minty. I do get quite a bit of bargain equipment in so perhaps I'll try posting more of that and see what happens.

I certainly don't try to pressure a sale by giving it a time limitation but like any business I have to keep items moving in order to stay afloat. Rick, with the camera you were interested in, you wanted to trade something of equal value or wait two weeks to pull together cash. It simply doesn't make sense for me (or any business on the planet for that matter) to make an even trade which just delays my getting money back out of an investment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    APUG is a fantastically wonderful website with excellent Mods and the best members in the world... but the Classifieds section needs complete revamping. The layout is not at all conducive to selling or buying which is a conundrum considering this is where this site generates some of its revenue. Like I said APUG is the best... and no offense to the Webmaster/Owner... but the Classifieds section really is the worst. This is, of course, just my opinion/experience.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    ....another important factor here is establishing your identity on the forum. If you participate in the forums over time, contributing in ways other than buying and selling, building a reputation as a knowledgeable person, then you'll have more success in the classifieds. Often the identity of the seller is as important as the item for sale.
    This point should not be underestimated. Along with the general malaise in the economy, unemployment, etc... the OP has only recently arrived and apparently has come only to sell.

We are a community and the confidence with which we are able to buy from and sell to one another derives from our reputations in the community. You (the OP) are new here and we don't know who you are yet. Stay awhile. Participate. Contribute. Build a reputation....the sales will follow. If you came only to sell...you will likely fail.

I think BradS emphasized a very important point. New names showing up and posting lots of gear for sale is cause for caution in "our" little community. People who participate in the forums gain a reputation over time. The classifieds are only a portion of what goes on here.

My impression of the classifieds is that it's really hit-or-miss. If you have something someone wants, it will attract their attention. Yes, there are a number of bargain hunters here as well, and price is important. A buck's a buck. I cruise the classifieds daily. I don't have money to spend right now, but you never know when Gear Acquisition Syndrome will strike.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for reinforcing that point, Brad, because that's what I think the APUG classifieds really have to offer--a community where people who know each other can buy and sell among themselves.

If you are a retail business and plan to advertise a lot of items over time, indeed, it's best to become a regular advertiser. You'll get a rotating banner ad and your own forum where you can list items for sale or special promotions for APUG members, and many APUG members generally try to support APUG sponsors when they can. Last year, for instance, I special ordered a brand new lens from Freestyle, when I could have taken the subway down to B&H and bought it off the shelf, because Freestyle is an APUG sponsor, and B&H is not. B&H still gets a good share of my photo budget, but when I can, I'll go out of my way to support an APUG sponsor.

There is something of a gray area about who is a "retailer," since there are some people who do quite a lot of trading and maybe it's turned into something of a side business over time, and some of those people advertise in the classifieds, and some have purchased block ads or banner ads. If an high-volume seller is posting so many ads that ordinary individuals who are just selling a few pieces occasionally are getting crowded out, we'll ask the retailer to move to one of the other advertising categories.

To set up a block ad or a banner ad on APUG, go to--

http://www.apug.org/forums/advertising.php
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to agree with Brad, Peter & David, everything I've bought has been from people who quite regular post on the Forum, and I'd be less likely to but from someone I'd not come across.

So the more you participate Giles the more confidence people have.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One problem with the classifieds is the trading area versus buying area. People tend to cross in between the two, and when you click on buy and sell to see individual categories you lose the trade items in which the OP will accept cash. I think that needs to be rethought once or twice.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would concur with this.. Prior to the really large site upgrade we had some time back, the for sale section was great, now it's a huge PITA to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    APUG is a fantastically wonderful website with excellent Mods and the best members in the world... but the Classifieds section needs complete revamping. The layout is not at all conducive to selling or buying which is a conundrum considering this is where this site generates some of its revenue. Like I said APUG is the best... and no offense to the Webmaster/Owner... but the Classifieds section really is the worst. This is, of course, just my opinion/experience.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ^^^ Bingo!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin