Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,403   Online: 1019

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hadn't noticed the change in the classifieds since the upgrade. I try to avoid it... if I peruse around there too much, I'm inevitably separated from my money for some impulse buy. (I rarely regret them!! )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Guys, I can revamp the classifieds (the code is highly flexible) but I could use some detailed feedback. I would like to get an email dialogue going with those who use the classifieds a lot and what they would like to see. For example Mike1234 sounds like you might have some good ideas. Feel free to email me: apug.org@gmail.com

We'll hash out a plan and I'll get the coder to update. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the constructive comments. I'll certainly continue to participate in the forums as much as possible, I'm a photographer as well as a chap who happens to spend the better part of his day shuffling cameras around A friend just sent me the site so give me a minute to catch up

Happy shooting,
    Giles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    I'm a small camera shop in Columbus and a friend of mine suggested I try to post some gear for sale on here. We deal mostly with film equipment and so it seemed like a good idea. Problem is after post a dozen or so items and market prices I've got absolutely no interest.

Just wondering if people use this for shopping or if not where you'd rather go? A lot of our stuff goes on Ebay simply because film is now a niche market and it the big auction houses reach the most potential customers. I would rather do personal sales via forums but would love some advice on how to make that happen.

Thanks for any input,

Giles
    I have noticed your ads as of late because they are interesting items, but I always hit my back button pretty much immediately because the prices, simply put, are too high for the items I have looked at. Not only that, but it is hard to sell expensive stuff to us, when most of us know that something 1/10 or 1/5 the price will do us just as good in all practicality. In short, you need a certain kind of consumer who places a very high value on having very high-end equipment. This "value" usually comes down to ego and the desire for conspicuous consumption more than anything. In my time on the forums, I have encountered more people who jury rig things and use crappy equipment to make their splendid work than anything else...while on Websites like Photo.net, you get exactly the opposite: guys with $20,000 worth of the latest-greatest whiz-bang gizmos, who can't shoot their way out of a wet paper bag. Go figure. E-Bay is your best bet for the high-end stuff. It simultaneously reaches the most people, the least-educated people, and the loosest-pocketed people. Be prepared to get less than you are asking in any forum for sale, however.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-13-2010 at 08:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You're saying that the photographers on photo.net can't shoot?? Have you looked at the galleries?? I urge others here to take a look. It's some of the best work anywhere. Sorry, 2F/2F but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Regarding the classifieds module, as I recall, the old gallery style system had its problems too, like not being well integrated with the rest of the forum. Some people didn't like the fact that the "contact" button sent e-mail instead of a forum PM, and you couldn't get to a user's forum profile easily from their ad.

I'd be fine with just a classifieds forum and required designations in new threads like FS/FT/WTB, where only subscribers would be able to post new threads, but anyone could post within a thread. I don't know why it has to be a separate content area. Anyone who doesn't want to look at the classifieds could just turn it off, as they can do with any forum. We could have a limit on the number of new threads per day per user. Maybe there could be subforums, but I'm not sure we have enough new ads to justify the additional complexity. One big forum seems to work for the LF forum.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 02-01-2010 at 06:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Deleted response to deleted post.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ok, I'll look into migrating the current system to forums which shouldn't be too painful as the data is held within vbulletin to begin with (It wasn't on the old classified system). We can basically have it viewable to all but only subscribers can post ads -similar to how it is currently setup -and I should be able to have a product thumbnail listed next to each post.. Stay tuned!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that people want consistency across a website. The complaint is that the Classified do not work like the rest of APUG.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I think that people want consistency across a website. The complaint is that the Classified do not work like the rest of APUG.

Steve
    This is very true. I was discussing this with the owner of a gastronomy forum not long ago, very much like APUG, and he said that content areas outside of the forum structure generally didn't attract many visitors, no matter how useful they might be or how they attempted to direct users to those areas, and they would ultimately have to be folded into the forums or eliminated or would have to develop their own lives as independent entities.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    You're saying that the photographers on photo.net can't shoot?? Have you looked at the galleries?? I urge others here to take a look. It's some of the best work anywhere. Sorry, 2F/2F but you have no idea what you're talking about.
    In that case, I suppose our opinions differ.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin