Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,107   Posts: 1,636,602   Online: 1281

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selling ON APUG?

I'm a small camera shop in Columbus and a friend of mine suggested I try to post some gear for sale on here. We deal mostly with film equipment and so it seemed like a good idea. Problem is after post a dozen or so items and market prices I've got absolutely no interest.

Just wondering if people use this for shopping or if not where you'd rather go? A lot of our stuff goes on Ebay simply because film is now a niche market and it the big auction houses reach the most potential customers. I would rather do personal sales via forums but would love some advice on how to make that happen.

Thanks for any input,

Giles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Giles--
    I just did a quick search for your ads and I don't see any. Have you gone back and "published" each one of them? If not, nobody has seen them. I personally look at the classifieds all the time. I've bought & sold. Good luck!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've definitely published them and had a few folks respond to several.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which small camera shop? I only know of three shops worth going to. I'd love to find a fourth.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Look under recent classifieds. He's the first one.

Don't expect expensive things to fly off the shelves here. I'm not personally hunting for expensive 4x5 lenses at the moment. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is more of a casual means of buying/selling goods amongst other members. It's not really "built" for really valuable items. If I have some extra photo paper, I'll throw it up and wait to see if someone buys. It can take a long time though. It's all up to chance, and I'm not sure every member checks every day or week
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I suppose all selling may be a bit slow going at the moment, given the economy. I usually put things up for about a week or so before moving them to eBay, if they don't sell here. Higher end items might sell here as much as anywhere.

I was able to find your ads, so I don't think you're having trouble posting. You've got good photos.

You might try more descriptive titles than "some lovely 4x5" lenses." If you want to group them, it might be better to say "modern 4x5" lenses," since some LF shooters are looking more for modern lenses, some for classic lenses, and some just for affordable lenses. Someone shopping for an 8x10" Deardorff usually wants to know if it has front swings, so I'd put that in the title. That Summitar needs to be authenticated, I think, or no one knows how much to offer. It could be a valuable wartime artifact or a worthless Russian knockoff.

I should say, another important factor here is establishing your identity on the forum. If you participate in the forums over time, contributing in ways other than buying and selling, building a reputation as a knowledgeable person, then you'll have more success in the classifieds. Often the identity of the seller is as important as the item for sale.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoops. Bad typing=bad search results. Forgive me! I have definitely seen the ads you have. Higher end stuff tends to move slowly, especially in this economy (in my opinion anyway...)
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Whoops. Bad typing=bad search results. Forgive me! I have definitely seen the ads you have. Higher end stuff tends to move slowly, especially in this economy (in my opinion anyway...)
    Yep. Most of us be cheap bahstahds.
    I just bought a 135W Fuji LF lens for 150 bucks, in perfect shape, with no retainer ring. That's what I call a bargain I could not resist. For the most part though, equipment gets the short shrift. Money be tight.

Keep trying though, someone is going to need something you are selling and we are a great bunch of people.

tim in sanjose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Yep. Most of us be cheap bahstahds.
    I just bought a 135W Fuji LF lens for 150 bucks, in perfect shape, with no retainer ring. That's what I call a bargain I could not resist. For the most part though, equipment gets the short shrift. Money be tight.

Keep trying though, someone is going to need something you are selling and we are a great bunch of people.

tim in sanjose
    Feel free to send more to upgrade from a bargain to a good deal!
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe if you leave the ads posted here long enough for people to get the funds together, you might have some success. Running an ad for one week or less, then telling people the item is going to fleabay(possibly your way of pressuring for quick sale)is IMHO NOT a good way to conduct business. Working with people, allowing a little extra time, and not being in such a terrible hurry, will get you the money in the end.

Rick

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin