Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,215   Online: 1184

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Calumet Cadet for both still life work and out in the field. The back has both swing and tilt movements but nothing else. When I got it about 10 years ago, the Cadet was all I could afford. Your options now are far greater.
    The Gowland is probably your best bet for a monorail for field use.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an Arca-Swiss Field C which is without a doubt the best camera, I have ever used. Its fairly light and easily transportable. The down side is that it is expensive.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used a 4x5 Gowland (Calumet version of the Pocket View) consistantly for 8 years or so before moving up in format. Two 6" rails that connect together for twelve inches of draw but there are 8" rails, too. I usually loosened the swing on the front and back standards, disconnect the two rails and folded the camera flat to put in my pack.

But the camera is light enough (mine was 2.25 pounds) that one can walk around all day with the camera on the tripod, I used a Gitzo Studex, which outweighed the camera by a factor of 3. Perhaps lighter pod and some type of GG protector would be nice (I never used one) -- one could remove the lens as a precaution (with a blank lensboard to keep the dust out. I use to use a waterproof stuff bag over the camera to keep it clean, dry and protect the bellows in rougher conditions, or else I would just drape my darkcloth over the camera and carry it that way. But the rest of one's gear (holders, meter, lunch, water, etc, could be in a reasonable size daypack for all day hikes. For short or half-day trips, just the camera on the tripod and other essentials in a shoulder bag sort of thing is great. One would never have to put anything on the ground that way -- I saw Richard Misrach work that way with his 8x10 (20 years ago, that is.)

Many variations to the 4x5. The All-Movement is probably the model that would suit you -- even if the back actually does not rise nor shifts. Swings and tilts, though with all movements in the front. variety of types of backs, too. Mine will not allow graflex roll backs -- I have to use the Calumet type, but later models than mine came with the type you need.

Anyway -- it is not the camera for everyone. Test drive one, since YMMD.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use an 8x10" Gowland and also had a 4x5" Gowland for several years. The 4x5" was super light, but the version I had didn't have a Graflok type back, though I know that's an option. You would need to use a lighter weight rollfilm holder with it, I think, like a Graphic. I'd be concerned about things sagging or moving out of adjustment with, say, a Linhof rollfilm holder on a Gowland.

I'm a little confused about your statement that you need a monorail to use Graflok type backs. Many folding field cameras take Graflok type backs.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What David says = my Wista Field camera (the 45DXIII) has a graflok type back, and that's so much easier to carry around than a monorail. I think you can buy the graflok back by itself too, if you were able to find a reasonably priced 2nd hand Wista. Mind you, the monorail I used to lug around was a Graphic View, and they (bless 'em) are kind of solid and bitey...

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like a couple of others I have a Cambo (Calumet) Cadet, they are very cheap and extremely versatile you certainly can't run out of movements with one, and they are light weight.

I have used mine out in the landscape, in fact at the moment it's my main 5x4 camera when I'm in the UK, but I prefer my Wista 54DX field camera for landscape use and it mas more than sufficient movements.

There's a nice one for sale in the classifieds at the moment at a great price with lens, darkslides etc

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got a Sinar F2 and use it quite a lot out in the field. Apart from being cheap as has been mentioned you can get parts and accessories pretty easily and the whole sinar range is pretty much interchangable so you can upgrade on part at a time if you want.

Before shooting the Sinar I was using a Mamiya RB67, with 3 lenses and an extra back my bag feels about the same weight. I know the mamiya is heavy but I think the comparison shows that the sinar isn't too heavy for a monorail.
    Rhys

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ditto on the Sinars - F, F2 and Norma all quite bearable
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the PM--so you want back movements and a Graflok back. In wooden field cameras Shen-Hao, Chamonix, and Wista have varying rear movements, and among metal field cameras there are Linhof, Toyo, and Wista, and there are others. Another monorail for the field that will do what you want is the Linhof Technikardan.

Extensive rear movements are a convenience, but there are often ways to achieve the same movements indirectly. For instance, if you have front and rear swing, you can swing the standards in parallel for rear shift, and likewise for rear rise/fall, if you have front and rear tilt. If you've got front swing and shift, you can do an indirect rear swing by using swing and shift on the front and rotating the camera, and likewise for indirect rear tilt, if you have front rise/fall and tilt. With a field camera one is usually trading convenience for light weight and sturdiness, but it's worth noting that the Shen-Hao and Chamonix cameras have extensive rear movements for folding wooden cameras. Just note that some of the earlier Chamonix 4x5" cameras had a design flaw that caused a groundglass registration problem, so I wouldn't purchase a used one.

A Sinar F/1/2 is certainly a backpackable camera that doesn't take long to set up, but I think I'd find it a bit bulky. It's a good architecture camera, because it's quick to use, has full movements, and is easy to transport by car, and architectural subjects tend to be accessible by road.

The Sinar Alpina/A/A1 has a more compact rail system, so it's more suited to backpacking, but of course that means that the rail components aren't compatible with the rest of the Sinar system, if that's important to you.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Like a couple of others I have a Cambo (Calumet) Cadet..

Ian
    I have never used a Cadet but always thought itwould be a good, simple field cameras, especially if it had a collapsible rail (which I don't think it does).

A monorail is always the pain for storage and carrying. There is no substitute for lightweight. I know a lot of people tote a Sinar or other big monorail in the field but that is labor that can detract from the fun of taking pictures. They are so cheap used though that it could be compelling to have such a fine camera.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin