Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,793   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Monorails in the field

Does anyone have some suggestions for a 4x5 monorail that is compact and
    light enough to take out for an afternoon hike ? Asked for monorail because need graflok bars for rollfilm back.Would prefer not to have to assemble it
    and then disassemble to carry. Also want to have back movements.
    Is this all possible ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before I got a Zone VI field, I carried a Sinar F everywhere. Just put it over shoulder on tripod and off we went.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    An Arca Swiss Misura would suit you perfectly but is very expensive and rarely available used. A Toho monorail would be lightweight. Otherwise, any old monorail would do. You could carry the monorail in a jogging stroller if the terrain is kind.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What about a cambo cadet, there is one on the E site at present, can't remember all the movements. I was looking for similar, then thought I should just get fitter.
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Before I got a Zone VI field, I carried a Sinar F everywhere. Just put it over shoulder on tripod and off we went.

Mike
    Exactly as I do !
    The Sinar F's are quite plentiful and a quality camera for little money (at least here in the UK). Spares are usually easy to come by too.
    Mine never comes off the tripod and has taken a fair amount of abuse.
    I am wanting a field camera now though, something with less movements and a simpler sturdier design.
    The Sinar has been a great introduction to large format at a low cost.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a cambo 4x5. The bellows and lensboards/back come off easily, and the standards turn very close to flat while on the short rail. It is not super comfy in the backpack, but for shots when I need the movements that I do not want to torture the crown graphic to try to make, it works.

If I worked up a better foam insert to cradle it in it would definitetly be easier.

I hope to land the lottery and get a nice field cameras first, the number of times that I otherwise do this in a year.

Once I am near area of interest it just goes onto the tripod, and I carry the tripod over the shoulder.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to carry a Cambo 4x5 around until I one day deep into the woods realised that I had left the rail at home.
    Imagine my frustration.

I use field cameras now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Toho or Gowland.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson2 View Post
    Does anyone have some suggestions for a 4x5 monorail that is compact and light enough to take out for an afternoon hike ? Asked for monorail because need graflok bars for rollfilm back.Would prefer not to have to assemble it and then disassemble to carry. Also want to have back movements. Is this all possible ?
    I use a field monorail: Toho FC-45X. It's about the lightest weight LF camera available (half the weight of the pretty wood field cameras), it's sturdy and rigid when locked down, and it's got full movements on both standards, which is quite useful. I've never used it with a roll film back, but I've read that other people do, so it must work. The Toho has been my only camera for the last seven or eight years -- I've put thousands of sheets through mine. So... something for you to consider maybe.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gowland is the lightest bar none. They are not made anymore now that Peter is semi-retired though. If your patient you might find one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin