Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,247   Posts: 1,660,166   Online: 715

Shooter
    35mm

New user-Routine maintenance for Horseman 450?

Hello,

I have recently purchased an old Horseman 450 (which I believe is about the same as a horseman LE) which is my first 4x5. I find the camera quite lovely, and it does inspire confidence, however the geared movements are a bit spotty. For instance one standards rack is very loose, and the other quite stiff. one standards rise/fall is loose, the other quite stiff, and swings and tilts in general are quite stiff. Now I figure a bit of stiffness is one thing to help keep it from flopping around, but I judge it _too_ stiff in places. I've also noticed that the cold is only making it harder to adjust some movements. It should also be said that the weather being unpleasant and the short period I've owned the camera has left it with not so much use either, is it possible this will all simply clear up?

In any event, I would like some advice about perhaps lubricating the gearing, as the stiffness in general causes me a little concern. Of course this will require disassembly.

So what do do? Firstly, what sort of lubricant would I need to use? Secondly, is it possible to adjust these mechanisms to provide slightly looser operation, and how difficult a task? And thirdly, uh, how do I take this contraption apart? I have above average mechanical inclination, if it matters.

As a side question: now that I've moved up quite a bit in terms of format I find my tripod head a bit lacking. What is the bare-minimum tripod head suggested for this sort of thing (I think I'm looking at 15 pounds here) I've noticed that my camera's base is MUCH larger than my Manfrotto QR plates, and I figure there is something to that as well.

My appreciation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd use wax on any machined surface. Smooths the action & doesn't attract dust & dirt. I use paraffin used in canning. I also use it on the table saw to prevent rust. Bought a package ~10 years ago & still have three unused pieces.
    I'd also not use grease on the gears for the same reasons(dust & dirt) a drop of oil on the shaft of each is more than enough.
    RE: takin' it apart. One standard at a time, usually gearing is held in place by a plate and a couple of screws. Majority of the time there is a tension adjustment or tension spring at the shaft.
    These are really very simple rack & pinion drives. A little care is all that's needed.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for your comments and suggestions

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have both a Horseman LE and a 450. I can't suggest anything for adjusting the tension on the gearing and movements -- but I can suggest a nice tripod head for the camera. If you like the Manfrotto tripod system take a look at the 229 tripod head with a 030L quick release plate.

The 030L is a large four-inch square plate that has plenty of area for the large tripod base plate of the Horseman monorails. However, this plate only fits tripod heads with the hexagonal quick-release system.

I use the big plate on a 3039 head (now called the 229). My 450 is heavier (because of the extendable rail) than the LE, and both are over ten pounds. Because of the weight of these cameras I also use the larger 3/8" screw on the quick release plate instead of the 1/4". The 3039 head is very solid and locks down tight. This head is overkill for smaller cameras (35mm) yet works very well with my big 4x5 cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forum member Lee L is a long-time Horseman 4x5 monorail user and may know if the gear mechanisms can be adjusted. If he does not see this thread, perhaps you could send a PM his way.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin