Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,230   Online: 841

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

How to do focus?

Hi

I just got a Super Angulon 90mm f/8 (for Linhof).

I don't see how to maintain blades opened exept with the B position.
    What's wrong? The saleman is not an expert with 4X5. It's not a big big problem but I'm curious. I don't see any lever to open the blades.

Thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the lens doesn't have a T setting, use a locking cable release.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It should have a little tab that will open the shutter, some will do it only when the shutter is cocked, It also depends on what shutter you have.
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a late 70's Caltar version of that lens (so they told me). It has a slider "knob" on the lens barrel. The cocking lever is near the top on the leftr as you face the lens from the subject side. This knob, kind of triangular shaped (thumb and forefinger fit nicely into the sides), is on the right side about halfway down from the top. You just slide it around the barrel to open or close the shutter, no matter what the speed is set on - very handy. My other two lenses have a similar device, I would suspect yours does too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi norm

you might have one in a copal "00" shutter ..
    the small metal tab ( bumpy ) slides and
    opens the shutter, it is like a DOF preview lever, and can be
    used with the fstop wide open to view / focus.
    if your lens isn't the "00" the time / bulb setting on your shutter
    works in a pinch. i only started to use the preview levers on all my lenses
    it works OK but it can be easy to forget that it is "open" when you pull your darkslide.
    using the T/B i like better since you have to reset the speed and close the shutter,
    and the only thing to remember is to stop down the lens ..

good luck!
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Focus

Norm,

You may have a compur shutter version of this lens in which case there is no preview lever you have to use bulb with a locking release. its a little more painful than a preview lever but works. mine is a very late 50's early 60's version with compur shutter, since it was in a compur shutter they sold it to me for $95!!!!! I had Sk grimes CLA it and its worked perfect ever since BTW did i mention the glass is mint and the images are sharp enough to cut steel.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A photo of the lens, or actually a couple of photos showing the lens and shutter clearly, would obviously help a great deal. Failing that, please let us know the name on the shutter (Copal, Compur, whatever.) You should have a lever to adjust the aperture and a way of setting the shutter speed. For shutter speed, do you see a "B" and/or "T" setting? Are there any other levers, buttons, or dials on the shutter which can move? Where are they and what do they look like?

Go to this web page: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

Does your shutter look like any of the ones shown there? It shows the details of Copal shutters, some of the most common ones out there. Did the page answer your questions?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I got a Technica Schneider Symmar in an older black Linhof shutter and was faced with the same dilema until I figured out how it works on mine. When I cock the shutter, there is a little button/tab on the top side of the shutter (at about the 1 o'clock position if you are looking at the lens from the front) that pushes out a little bit as the shutter is cocked. If you push it back in, the shutter blades open up and stay open to focus until you release the shutter. Obviously, you need to release the shutter and re-cock it to take your exposure. Not sure if your shutter works the same or not.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin